Galaxy Zoo Talk

New Project: Galaxy Zoo Quench

• laurawhyte by laurawhyte

Dear all,

T minus 5 days until the launch of Galaxy Zoo Quench on July 18th! We can't wait to have you participate in the ENTIRE scientific process – everything from classifying galaxies to analyzing results to collaborating with astronomers to writing a scientific article!

Everyone is welcome to participate, we hope you'll give all aspects of the project a go, but as with Galaxy Zoo, all contributions are valuable, so even if you just want to classify a couple of galaxies please join in!

Galaxy Zoo Quench will examine a sample of galaxies that have recently and abruptly quenched their star formation. These galaxies are aptly named Post-Quenched Galaxies. They provide an ideal laboratory for studying galaxy evolution. The entire process of classifying, analyzing, discussing, and writing the article will take place over an ~8-12 week period, beginning July 18th.

For more information, see our recent blog post: http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2013/07/10/galaxy-zoo-quench-experience-the-full-scientific-process/ and join us for the next Galaxy Zoo Hangout, on Monday, July 15th at 14:00 CST / 19:00 GMT / 20:00 BST. Have questions about the project? Ask us on twitter (@galaxyzoo) or facebook.

See you in Galaxy Zoo Quench!

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731

Will we be able to participate with our current profiles or must we sign up again? I'm asking cause at GalaxyZoo Quench there is only a sign up option.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to laurawhyte's comment.

This seems like it will be a very interesting and exciting project! 😃

I do have lots of questions, but I'd rather wait until after Monday's Hangout to ask them ... except for this one: to participate in Galaxy Zoo Quench, must one have a Twitter and/or Facebook account? Oh, and what fatha731 asked ...

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to fatha731's comment.

You will be able to participate with your Zooniverse account.

It is a Zooniverse project after all ! 😄

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731 in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Great! 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

If you haven't already done so, DO watch today's Hangout video! Then register to join Galaxy Zoo Quench!!

This is going to be the AWESOMEIST project yet! (no, I'm not excited; whatever gave you that idea? 😉)

Posted

• trouille by trouille

Galaxy Zoo Quench is live at quench.galaxyzoo.org!

http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/ is the special GZ Quench Talk forum, just for this mini-project. I'll be on that site a lot, ready to answer questions and help in the analysis. We also have an amazing team of GZ moderators who will be key in making this experiment a success.

We have 6,004 galaxies to classify, so get classifying! And see you over at http://quenchtalk.galaxyzoo.org/.

If you can't tell, I'm extremely excited about this project!!

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

HI all

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Freethesouls's comment.

Hi FTS. Have you started clicking in GZQ yet? If not, why not?!? 😮

It is ... the AWESOMEIST Zooniverse project, EVER!! 😄

Posted