Galaxy Zoo Talk

spectra

• magslis by magslis

I've found a large spiral galaxy next to AGZ0006JB0 with interesting spectrum. Its designation on SIMBAD is MCG +00-01-007 and it says it's an emission galaxy. its spectrum kind of flatlines (which is highlighted in grey) between 6500 and 6600 wavelength or so. What does it mean? If I understand correctly, spikes in spectra mean emission and dips mean absorption lines, is that right?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Everything you wanted to know about spectra 😄

Zooite guide to SDSS spectra

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to magslis's comment.

Very good question, magslis!

I had some trouble finding this object - the link should be http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/AGZ0006jb0 (lower case j and b) - but finally did so, and confirmed that the "large spiral" is SDSS J235613.47-003226.6 (DR8 ObjId 1237657190367953009; a.k.a. MCG +00-01-007). Here's the spectrum, per the DR8 PNG image:

enter image description here

its spectrum kind of flatlines (which is highlighted in grey) between 6500 and 6600 wavelength or so. What does it mean?

This is a 'masked' part of the spectrum, to use the technical word; for some reason the SDSS spectroscopic pipeline (an automated software routine) decided that the data there is 'bad', so 'zeroed it out'.

In DR9 and DR10 Examine pages, there's a link called "Interactive spectrum" (if there is a spectrum!), which is a very, very cool tool! 😃 Here is the DR9 Examine page for this galaxy, and if you click on this link you'll get the galaxy's interactive spectrum.

Happy hunting!

Posted

• magslis by magslis

I'm sorry about the mistakes in the link and thank you very much for responding. It'll be some time before I can use the interactive spectrum tool:-) but I' learning something new every time I log in and really appreciate the time and effort other participants put in. Thanks again.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Nice spectrum, @JeanTate and thanks for linking to the Interactive Spectrum - it's a very cool tool.

Posted