Galaxy Zoo Talk

Whatever happened with UKIDSS images?

• magslis by magslis

I seem to be getting lots of SDSS pics and no UKIDSS at all and by the look of the 'recent' section I'm not the only one. What happened?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to magslis's comment.

Classification of UKIDSS images - at least for this phase of Galaxy Zoo - is complete.

There's a post - by a Zooniverse Development Team member, I think - a day or so ago, stating this (but I couldn't find it, just now 😦 I find it next to impossible to effectively search for anything in Talk, unless it's what I myself posted, or was posted very recently).

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

The UKIDDS images were completed last Tuesday - it caused the site to temporarily go down. It was Michael Parrish who made a post in the bug thread.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Capella05's comment.

Thanks Capella05.

The thread, which I found with your help, is something wrong, in the Help board. Towards the bottom of page 1 of that thread, on April 29 2014 4:17 PM, parrish admin wrote:

Sorry for the hiccup, it should be fixed now.

The good news is that we've just finished the UKIDSS survey! 😃

Do you know if anyone's working on making it easier to find things in Talk? Other than objects and collections, which are - generally - very easy to find.

Posted

• magslis by magslis

Thank you to both of you. Yes, it can be quite difficult to follow everything that's going on in all the different places, esp. on a typical working day when I (and probably most people?) have limited time.

Thanks again.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

New GZ blog post:

http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2014/05/29/finished-with-galaxy-zoo-ukidss/

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

I completely agree that it's not as easy to find things in Talk as it should be. Fixing it at this stage would require a major effort which we don't have the person-power for right now. However, we have started working on designing the next version of Talk (and have explicitly incorporated feedback from the users on this). Among the things we will change is ease in searching for topics and the ability to more easily follow along in conversations you're participating in.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to KWillett's comment.

Which number has the next version of Talk? I guess, that it is going to be the 4th Talk version/ 3rd GZ Talk version. Will it be the final version? Well, the GZ forum was never changed, as far as I know, because it wasn't necessary.
    I understand, that you want to make Talk more userfriendly, but I perceive it as somehow difficult to get familiar with the many changes of Talk as someone, who has used Talk from the start. I mean, that I would have preferred to use the current or the next version from the beginning. BTW, it was difficult for me to get familiar with Talk also at the beginning.
    Besides I think, that using Talk versions, which aren't "up-to-date" causes frustration. It is wasting the time of the users, when e.g. the user tries to find something in Talk, but can't or it takes long. I had mentioned another time-consuming thing somewhere in Talk before and there are probably also further ones. Finally, I would like to cite the comment by magslis.: "Yes, it can be quite difficult to follow everything that's going on in all the different places, esp. on a typical working day when I (and probably most people?) have limited time."

Just my humble opinion. For what it's worth.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to KWillett's comment.

Wow - that is exciting news, Kyle. It sure will make things easier for everyone 😃

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to zutopian's comment.

And everyones opinion is important 😃

I am just happy that the Zooniverse is taking our feedback into consideration while designing the next version of talk.

As for the forum - it wasn't always as stable as what it is now. I remember about 6 years ago it went down for an extended period of time. So long in fact, one of the technically minded zooites set up an alternate forum for us to use.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to KWillett's comment.

we have started working on designing the next version of Talk (and have explicitly incorporated feedback from the users on this)

I do hope that threads like Suggestions on how to improve Talk ..., here in GZ Talk, will be read too ... sadly it's very easy to not notice a lot of good commentary and feedback on Talk, because it's so incredibly hard to find almost anything in Talk, once it gets beyond a few dozen posts and threads ...

Also, any chance at least some ordinary zooites could be invited to be part of the team working on the design of the next version of Talk?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

I do hope that threads like Suggestions on how to improve Talk ..., here in GZ Talk, will be read too ... sadly it's very easy to not notice a lot of good
    commentary and feedback on Talk, because it's so incredibly hard to find almost anything in Talk, once it gets beyond a few dozen posts and threads ...

They were, including email and twitter feedback. I saw a tweet from one of the admins to that effect.

Have you tried following particular threads / comments, to access them easily?

Posted

They were, including email and twitter feedback. I saw a tweet from one of the admins to that effect.

Cool! 😄 Thanks for letting me know.

Have you tried following particular threads / comments, to access them easily?

Yes, but a long time ago now (well, long in 'Zooniverse Talk' years), and found it, um, less than helpful. Will take your suggestion (in fact, I just 'followed' this thread).

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

It is a bit frustrating, but it is the best we have at the moment 😃 The un-follow button is also very useful 😃

Posted

Indeed.

Even if it can help me save an hour a week, that's good, right?

Do you find it ironic that one of the fundamental promises the zookeepers make (well, made anyway) is to not waste people's time, yet in forcing us to use Talk they have, in fact, wasted rather a lot more of our time?

Posted