Galaxy Zoo Talk

Looking for projects/studies enabled by GalaxyZoo through open data

• pkraker by pkraker

Hi all,

I am an open science advocate and as such, I am very impressed by this project. For a talk on open science and citizen science, I am looking for examples of projects or studies by researchers outside of the GalaxyZoo team that were enabled by the open data released on the site (http://data.galaxyzoo.org/). Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Peter

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

All publications resulting from the various studies and projects are found here:

https://www.zooniverse.org/publications

Is that what you mean? There's quite a few by now...

Posted

• pkraker by pkraker

Thanks Rick. I am looking specifically for publications that were not authored by the GalaxyZoo team, but by authors from other institutions using the openly published datasets. I am not sure if there is a list specifically with such publications.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to pkraker's comment.

Hi Peter,

I am not sure if there is such a list - I have never come across one. I will see what I can find out 😃

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N. in response to pkraker's comment.

There are studies or publications that use data from GZ, in the sense that the original GZ datasets are referenced in the non-GZ studies. What leaps to my mind is of course the Green Pea galaxies, which have approx 90 papers referencing the original Cardamone et al. (2009) paper to a varying extent. A couple of those that reference Cardamone i.e. non-GZ papers have approx 40-50 references themselves (e.g. Amorin et al. 2010; Izotov et al. 2011 etc.)

Whether or not that is open science I couldn't say. Certainly one or two of the authors are now very reluctant to divulge results that are a consequence of data originally open to all. That is professional science I guess.

Green Pea citations: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-ref_query?bibcode=2009MNRAS.399.1191C&refs=CITATIONS&db_key=AST

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Rick's list is a good start; the other approach I would take is to look at papers that cited the Galaxy Zoo release paper and find ones that aren't on the Zooniverse publication list. There are more than 143 citations to the paper, and only 50-60 were with involvement of science team members, but you'd have to do some reading of the individual papers to find how deeply they used GZ data (some make it the focus of the paper, others just mention it in passing). Green peas and polar ring galaxies are two of the main examples I can think of.

http://labs.adsabs.harvard.edu/adsabs/abs/2011MNRAS.410..166L/citations/

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to pkraker's comment.

I agree with Rick N., KWillett, et al.

The most certain way to get at least some of the work done by people other than those who are authors of the main Galaxy Zoo papers is to look at papers which cite those papers. You will likely have to at least skim many of them to determine just how independent the work reported is, of GZ Science Team members (this will not necessarily be easy).

In terms of open science, you may wish to also consider the Overlapping Galaxy Pairs work (details on the webpage you link to):

This section contains data from the Galaxy Zoo survey for overlapping galaxy pairs, useful for studies of dust absorption. Data is derived from the Zoo 1 and Zoo 2 periods (August 2007–April 2010), and is described in detail by Keel et al. (PASP, 2013, 125, 923). The catalog contains a total of 1990 galaxy pairs.

Posted

• pkraker by pkraker

Hi all,

thank you very much for your help! The examples you provided are already very helpful and I can use them in my talk tomorrow. If you are interested in keeping track of who uses your datasets in their studies, you may want to consider getting a DOI for your datasets (through services like figshare). After all, your research sparks further research and that should be properly acknowledged.

Best,
    Peter

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

See also a follow-up of Galaxy Zoo Project data:

http://cdsbib.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/cdsbib?2011MNRAS.418..244M

2011MNRAS.418..244M - Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc., 418, 244-257 (2011) - 12.12.11 02.02.15 November(III) 2011
    A new catalogue of polar-ring galaxies selected from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.

MOISEEV A.V.; SMIRNOVA K.I.; SMIRNOVA A.A.; RESHETNIKOV V.P.

Abstract (from CDS): Galaxies with polar rings (PRGs) are a unique class of extragalactic objects. Using these, we can investigate a wide range of problems, linked to the formation and evolution of galaxies, and we can study the properties of their dark haloes. The progress that has been made in the study of PRGs has been constrained by the small number of known objects of this type. The Polar Ring Catalogue (PRC) by Whitmore et al. and their photographic atlas of PRGs and related objects includes 157 galaxies. At present, there are only about two dozen kinematically confirmed galaxies in this PRG class, mostly from the PRC.

We present a new catalogue of PRGs, supplementing the PRC and significantly increasing the number of known candidate PRGs. The catalogue is based on the results of the original Galaxy Zoo project. Within this project, volunteers performed visual classifications of nearly a million galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS). Based on the preliminary classifications of the Galaxy Zoo, we viewed more than 40 000 images of the SDSS and selected 275 galaxies to include in our catalogue...

Illustration of this catalogue #PRG

Posted