Galaxy Zoo Talk

From RGZ, question about the morphology of two SDSS objects

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The first is in this RGZ Talk Discussion thread, z_sp 0.170 SDSS J172107.89+262432.1 (DR12 ObjId 1237655473438851724):

enter image description here

The second is in this thread, centered on z_sp 0.511 SDSS J150510.82+172042.5 (DR12 ObjId 1237667782851822392):

How would you describe what's in (the center of) these two images? For the first one, what do you think the morphology of the galaxy is?

Posted

• mlpeck by mlpeck

I'm going to go with spiral for the first one.

According to NED there is a cluster at the position of the second one -- the catalog was compiled from DR6 photometric redshifts. However there are spectra for a galaxy to the SW and one farther away to the NE and all 3 spectroscopic objects have z ≈ 0.5, so I'm going to call it a brightest cluster galaxy, probably early type.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Two very fuzzy images;

Classification is just guessing for me..

The first one looks like a disturbed spiral, but it is very fuzzy. The second one looks like a cluster of galaxies, no idea what the green thingies are.

Just keep in mind that sometimes the SDSS images are just too fuzzy to give a meaningful classification.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks mlpeck, Els.

Over in RGZ Talk, super-zooite Dolorous Edd managed to dig up this Subaru image of the first object (details in the RGZ thread):

Disturbed early-type spiral?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Another one, this time not a radio source but apparently in the same rich cluster as one (or several), SDSS J160646.74+565139.2 (dr12 ObjId 1237665570900345527), z_ph 0.303±0.154:

What's the blue fluff? Unlikely to be [OIII] (the cluster spectroscopic redshifts are 0.565 and 0.552*), maybe [OII]?

*SDSS J160641.73+565121.0, which itself seems a bit strange:

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to JeanTate's comment.

This area was imaged by the CFHT

And what a ...

Edit 18.09.15 ( updated images )*

Rather interesting field not only possible EERL, but also possible grav lens candidate, see images

Cones of ionezed gas on the sides of SDSS J160646.74+565139.2?

CFHT R-band (left); CFHT U-band (left )

Possible CFHT grav lens candidate? CFHT image centered on the SDSS J160647.56+565201.1

CFHT R-band (left) ; CFHT U-band (right)

Fits files with CFHT images from UGRZ bands ~1Mb

Download

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

Thanks Dolorous Edd! 😃

Following advice from a couple of science team members, I would recommend that follow-up for 'blue fluff' and related things be pursued over in RGZ Talk (except for any gravitational lens candidates; I'll leave it to a GZ Mod to advice where best to follow those sorts of things up). Why? Because in RGZ Talk there's an active project ("Project Green") looking into possible EELRs (extended emission line regions) around galaxies (and QSOs?) with z >~0.2 ... see Green galaxies associated with RGZ sources

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Just seeing if this matches an known lens, no it doesn;t.

enter image description here lens #SA12

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to Budgieye's comment.

RGB image for comparison and link to Space Warps discussion

RGB image created by me ( CFHT R,G,U-band composite )

Posted