Galaxy Zoo Talk

Bulge

• insaneAyesh by insaneAyesh

In previous SDSS classifications, we had an option between No bulge, Just Noticeable, Obvious and Dominant. Now there is no option for 'just noticeable' but often that seems the most appropriate choice. Wondering why Just Noticeable is no longer an option when detailing the bulge.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to insaini007's comment.

The objectives of this iteration of GZ are slightly different to the SDSS survey that you are familiar with 😃 To answer your question, there was discussion amongst the scientists as to whether the 'just noticeable' option was relevant - galaxies should either have a bulge (dominant or just present) or not - by having a forth option it was clouding results.

Posted

Okay, thank you for answering 😃. So my follow up queation is that if we come acorss a bulge that is just noticeable how do we mark that, as Obvious or No bulge?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to insaini007's comment.

a bulge that is just noticeable how do we mark that, as Obvious or No bulge?

I don't think the tutorials etc cover this, so it may be down to your personal judgement ... myself, if I think there's a bulge, no matter how 'just noticeable' it is, I mark it as a bulge (so "Obvious", since that's the 'smallest' choice) ...

Happy hunting! 😃

Posted

Mark it as 'Obvious' - just remember it is the size of the bulge - not the luminosity - that we are looking at 😃

Thanks for your clicks and hope to see you around!

Posted

Oh no, through all my classifications I assumed it was the luminosity and not the size 😕 I was using the examples(images) of the bulges as a guide and obviously misread them or misinterpreted the image as emphasising the luminosity. Im glad I addressed this.
    Okay so note to self..and onwards and upwards..and downwards and sideways..and in every direction that galaxies be!!

Posted

No worries - the images get classified by several people so any mistakes get ironed out!

I am useless at counting the number of arms in a galaxy, but that doesn't stop me from classifying!

Posted

Yea, about that, again must be the parameters of this classification are slightly different as there used to be one option for number of spirals "cant tell" or "cant make out" but that is not an option for this classification. I keep learning somethng new everyday. Also realizing the value of speaking up and asking questions. And of course having the questions asnwered is where the learning happens.
    Many thanks.

Posted

That is also intentional - the scientists felt that it would be better if we were forced to choose an option (even if it was incorrect) than have a 'opt-out' -this blog* from SnapShot Serengeti illustrates it perfectly why a wrong guess is better than no guess at all 😃

Edit: Found it! Post updated!

Posted

Thank you, I understand clearly now.

Posted