Galaxy Zoo Talk

SDSS Hubble Choice Questions

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai

Why are the classifying choices different between SDSS and Hubble images when choosing "smooth" ?

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

We wanted to ask slightly different questions about the two sets of images, mostly because we expect more mergers and irregular galaxies in the high redshift Hubble galaxies.

Posted

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai

Interesting, thanks. Looking forward to hearing more.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Just stumbled on his topic.
    So you expect more mergers in the Hubble pics, hence the buttons for merger : check
    You also expect more irregulars in the Hubble pic : where is the button for that ?

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

I would like to see is there anything odd......or even a GPair button ...ect

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

There is a button for irregular in the any thing odd choice

Posted

For the SDSS pictures, you have the choice 'anything odd' and the button for irregular is top row - right

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to ElisabethB's comment.

ElisabethB
    Just stumbled on his topic.
    So you expect more mergers in the Hubble pics, hence the buttons for merger : check
    You also expect more irregulars in the Hubble pic : where is the button for that ?

For Hubble images there is the question "Clumpy?" and one of the "clumpy" features is "cluster/irregular". (As far as I remember.: Currently, I have a technical problem concerning that site.)

Posted

Yes, you have the cluster/irregular button, but that is to indicate how the clumps are distributed.
    If you have a non-clumpy galaxy, you cannot indicate irregular.

Posted