Galaxy Zoo Talk

Another Galaxy on Planet Hunters

• delete_adc0630b by delete_adc0630b

See:
    http://talk.planethunters.org/objects/APH32048960/discussions/DPH1011nxe

Is it possible to get a better picture of this galaxy? I tried but didn't have much luck.
    Here are the coordinates:
    19 21 28.193 +43 35 20.76

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Sorry, this one seems to be outside of the SDSS footprint. You could try Google sky (I'm not really very familiar with that)

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Try putting those coordinates into NED; the source appears to have infrared and optical images, as well as a radio detection. (Is the above image the DSS image linked to from NED?) Beyond that, there isn't much, it seems.

There are AGN in the Kepler field too -- which I think is pretty cool.

Posted

Hi ElisabethB and vrooje,
    I just started a thread on Planet Hunters:
    http://talk.planethunters.org/science/discussions/DPH101ou9x
    Let me know what you think.

Posted

Looks great. Not sure how I can help !

Posted

It's meant for Planet Hunters who check stars on Sky View (like I do). Sometimes we notice one of the KIDs is not a star but a galaxy.
    Now that we have a list we can check whether they are known or not. And if they are not, we can post them on the thread. Maybe someone will be interested in them.
    If we find another one and are having trouble getting a good picture I may hop over to Galaxy Zoo and ask if one of you can get a better picture. I already am very grateful for the help I reveived these past couple of weeks since I started here. Very much appreciated! 😃

Posted

I do get to do some classifications on PH occasionally, but only as a newbie !
    All this stuff is way over my head ! ;-D

Posted

It is very easy, and I could teach you how to use Sky View.
    These past months I checked dozens and dozens of Eclipsing Binaries on Sky View, and a great number of them turned out to be contaminated, i.e. the light of a nearby star or background star - the real EB - influences the target star, thus making the reading unreliable. There are a couple of Planet Hunters who have the means to analyze where the real EB is. Now that is way out of my league!

Posted

Thanks, maybe one day I'll take you up on this.
    Just a funny aside, my initials are EB, so your post was a tad bit confusing at first glance ! 😃 (the real EB ...)

Posted

LOL, didn't realize this till you mentioned it 😃

Posted

Well, you weren't supposed to know my last name ! 😃
    And the more I read it the funnier your post gets ! (Sorry, I have a peculiar sense of humour ! 😉 )

Posted

Ha ha, I can see that 😃 😃 😃

Posted

ROFL

Posted