Galaxy Zoo Talk

What's with NOTAM_WORD?

• alwarren56 by alwarren56

I see NOTAM_WORD frequently in comments. What exactly is it in plain english?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

"Not a Merger" (at least, that's what I understand, from the context). My guess is that it has been used to indicate a 'negative certainty', kinda like "we're ruled out a heart attack, but that still leaves many possible causes". Or somewhat like the Sherlock Holmes quote (which I will, no doubt, mangle badly!) "Once you rule out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must ..."

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731 in response to alwarren56's comment.

Jean is right, it means "not a merger". But always classify what you see and not what you think others have to say about it! 😃

Posted

Ok, thanks. So what's the "_WORD" part?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

This was a tag invented by a person who didn't think that mergers existed. So he/she invented the tag "not a m word".
    Meaning : you cannot even say the word merger. Please disregard this string of words every time you see it.

Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. Twas a bit confusing considering notam is a) an aviation term, and b) an acronym for some tech school in Notingham. In the future, I shall try to refrain from replying with NOTA_NOTAM. 😃

Posted