Galaxy Zoo Talk

Star Trek, The Next Generation - The Re-Watch!

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

It all started with a innocent plug by @mrniaboc 😄

If y'all are interested in Start Trek related humour (and a bit of shameless self-promotion), you should check out the new podcast by myself and Rob Simpson about re-watching TNG. The first two episodes are up already at startrek.therewatch.com

As we go on we will have other guests stars from the world of the Zooniverse. Any feedback very welcome!

Well it turns out there are quite a few Star Trek fans here on Talk, so I hope Grant and Rob don't mind me making this thread - so we can discuss the episodes 😃

Posted

I now have all the S1 episodes and have embarked on watching them 😄

E01-E02 (Encounter at Far Point) did leave me somewhat underwhealmed 😦 Yes, the writers / producers had a big job of introducing all the main characters, but I struggled to form a rapport for any of them. Even my favourite JLP, was a bit too fussy and wooden. Wesley Crusher was just annoying.

I must of missed this episode as a kid, as I had no recollection of it!

Even Sir Patrick Stewart said he did not think it would take off, and he didn't bother to unpack for 6 weeks 😃

Excellent podcast @mrniaboc and @ttfnrob - but I would rate the episode a 5.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

The first few episodes of a series are never good. I liked all the episodes with Reginald Barclay in them, and his character development over the series, and Voyager

Posted

I totally forgot about him!

Thinking about rewatching the first two episodes, maybe I was overly harsh with my assessment and there is a nugget hidden somewhere in it 😕

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I think it's one of those things where once you know the characters you can laugh at how differently the actors played them at the beginning, really laugh at the overdone costumes, and just enjoy the Season-1-weirdness with "great joy, and gratitude". 😉

Posted

Well, I am about to embark on Episode 3...

Will write up notes as I go along 😄

Posted

Okay - I have always found it a bit odd that the characters leave their stations before the relief crew takes over - don't they believe in handovers?

Is it just me, or does Riker looks better with a beard?

Did I just see a smirk on Data's face? (16:13)

Really? - not likely! (21:09)

Ha, ha, ha - well that was fun, and I actually remembered watching this one 😃

Posted

• mrniaboc by mrniaboc admin

Riker definitely is better with the beard. I think Rob refers to it as his "sex beard" in fact!

Posted

• jules by jules

And the plot lines and acting got better with the beard too! ;D

Posted

I wonder what would happen if he shaved it off!

Did that ever happen in one of the episodes 'post beard'?

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

It happened in one of the films... Troi shaved it for him while they were having a bubble bath.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to vrooje's comment.

I recall that movie slightly - was it the one on the planet where no-one aged?

Posted

Just watched S01E04 - Code of honour...

When the leader of an alien culture takes a romantic interest in Lt. Yar, he claims her for his own, to the dismay of his own wife, who, in turn, challenges Tasha in a fight to the death.

I could go on for hours on the rampant sexism, or the stereotyping, but I won't....

The gold jumpsuit speaks for itself...

1/10 - now to listen to the podcast 😃

Posted

Wow - looks I was a bit kinder on this episode than either Rob or Grant....

Posted

On to the next episode S01E05....

In pursuit of Ferengi marauders, the Enterprise and its quarry become trapped by a mysterious planet that is draining both ships’ energies.

I was underwhelmed. Also, the dude on the planet was a 'guardian' - yet he did not know his empire had been destroyed several millennia before? If the supernova hadn't destroyed the empire, I guess bad communication could of been a good second guess...

3/10

Posted

and the next! S01E06...

When an experimental engine modification throws the Enterprise to the edge of the known universe, the crew must rely on a mysterious alien to guide the ship home.

Finally we are getting onto the better episodes! I still find Wesley a bit dubious 😃

6/10

Now to listen to the podcast!

Posted