Galaxy Zoo Talk

AAAS Symposium, San Jose (CA, USA) - February 2015 - Cutting Edge Research with 1 million Citizen Scientists.

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

There has been a lot of interest in the following blog, so I thought I would create a thread where we could keep all discussions related to it:-)

From the Blog by Dr Ramin Skibba:

Some colleagues and I successfully proposed for a symposium on citizen science at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in San Jose, CA in February 2015. (The AAAS is one of the world’s largest scientific societies and is the publisher of the Science journal.) Our session will be titled “Citizen Science from the Zooniverse: Cutting-Edge Research with 1 Million Scientists.” It refers to the more than one million volunteers participating in a variety of citizen science projects...

...We haven’t confirmed all of the speakers for our AAAS session yet, but we plan to have six speakers who will introduce and present results from the Zooniverse, Galaxy Zoo, Snapshot Serengeti, Old Weather, Cell Slider, and Space Warps. I’m sure it will be exciting and we’re all looking forward to it!

Blog here

Ramin ( @raminskibba ) kindly popped by in Chat with the following update:

I just noticed your thread. The AAAS will finalize their program for the San Jose meeting and open registration in August, so more information will be available within a couple weeks. We don't know yet which day of the AAAS meeting (12th-16th Feb.) that this will be on, but we should find out soon. You might need to register to attend, but maybe there will be other options. I haven't heard any cancellations among our speakers, so it looks like we'll confirm all six of them, but I want to be sure before we announce them.

I do not know if this symposium is open for everyone to attend, but I am sure the talks will be available online / blogged / tweeted about 😃

Posted

Some more links:

AAAS 2015 Homepage

Citizen Science Association

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist in response to Capella05's comment.

As far as I know the AAAS Symposium involving the Zooniverse is completely separate from the pre-meeting held by the Citizen Science Association. But it will certainly be a good week for citizen science! 😃

Posted

Ahhh - Thanks Brooke! I was trying to work out how everything fitted together!

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s in response to vrooje's comment.

Thanks for the info. 😃

Posted