Galaxy Zoo Talk

Has Galaxy Zoo an IRB Approval?

• zutopian by zutopian

In the light of below article, I wonder, if Galaxy Zoo has an IRB* approval? I would guess, that it has. If so, which institution is responsible for the IRB approval? Where is the approval document available? Or maybe there is a document, that GZ is exempt from IRB oversight?

Some thoughts about human subjects research in the wake of Facebook’s massive experiment
    By Janet D. Stemwedel, Associate Professor of Philosophy at San José State University
    June 30, 2014
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/doing-good-science/2014/06/30/some-thoughts-about-human-subjects-research-in-the-wake-of-facebooks-massive-experiment/

PS: I informed about the article also here.: http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000003/discussions/DGZ0000vor

'* IRB= Institutional Review Board

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin, scientist

Yes, we do. Both in the US and through the relevant Oxford committee.

Chris

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

😃 😃 LOL thanks zookeeper. I had this feeling that you had that covered. 😃

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

Are there also IRB approvals for the bias study of flipped spiral images and for the modified AGN experiment, which were conducted some years ago? In the recent past there was an experiment concerning artificially redshifted galaxies.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to zutopian's comment.

As far as I am aware, there was.

I am not sure what you are suggesting @zutopian ? Are you asking a question, or making an accusation?

Having simulated or flipped images is hardly a psychological study along the lines of the facebook emotional experiment, and simulated images are quite commonly used for training within the various Zooniverse projects.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to Capella05's comment.

I am not sure what you are suggesting @zutopian ? Are you asking a question, or making an accusation?

Actually, I am just asking for information!

Having simulated or flipped images is hardly a psychological study (...)

In the recent GZ blog post "The SEVEN wonders of Galaxy Zoo" there is following statement.:

1. Chirality of Spiral Galaxies One of the first major results from Galaxy Zoo wasn’t even Astronomical. It was Psychological.

http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2014/07/11/the-seven-wonders-of-galaxy-zoo/

Posted

That is hardly comparable with the Facebook study.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

The Facebook study tried to emotionally manipulate people and change their moods, by showing them negative or positive posts.

I am not particularly traumatised by finding out a galaxy I classified as being a clockwise spiral is in fact anti-clockwise.

Posted

Then again, that could be fairly traumatic for the galaxy involved, suddenly being reversed.

Or that could just be the painkillers speaking... 😉

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

If a galaxy's feelings were hurt by being flipped, how do you think the alphabet galaxies feel? 😃

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to vrooje's comment.

We are going to need a galaxy support group 😉

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to zookeeper's comment.

Yes, we do. Both in the US and through the relevant Oxford committee.

Sorry, but may I ask, which US university it is?

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to Capella05's comment.

We are going to need a galaxy support group 😉

We are going to need a zooites support group, e.g. for those, whose feelings were hurt due the close of the GZ forum.

Posted

I am sorry you feel that way, but as Chris and the other Zookeepers have stated, it was not feasible keeping it open for the handful of volunteers who used it.

I, for one, am very excited about the development of Talk V3. A lot of effort is going into scoping what 'must have' features need to be included, and our feedback is a large part of that. I would much rather channel my energy into creating something positive, than lamenting over the old forum 😃

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

I am sorry you feel that way, but as Chris and the other Zookeepers have stated, it was not feasible keeping it open for the handful of volunteers who used it.

I am not the only one, as you know. Well, I know, that there is a GZ Talk topic about the close of the GZ forum. Anyway.
    I perceive GZ Talk currently also as quiet.: When GZ Talk was new, it was really busy, but curiously, it is no longer thus busy in my opinion.

Posted

Talk can get very busy, particularly when school groups come on. Most of the activity occurs on the 'Recents' tab, so if you only visit the discussion boards, it can be a bit misleading.

Posted