Galaxy Zoo Talk

Galaxy Zoo's 8th (!) Astrofest meetup (London, UK, 6-7 February 2015)

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

This year will mark the 8th ๐Ÿ˜ฎ year that Zooites from all over Europe have descended on Kensington, London for the annual European Astrofest.

The conference / exhibition takes place over 2 days, and we do organise a few social engagements over the weekend. You don't have to come to all of the sessions, and if you only want to come to the social events - that is more than fine ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

This meetup is open to everyone, so if you would like to meet some of your fellow classifiers (and loads of other amateur astronomers), please do come along! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Tickets are available here and the conference line up is available here

Pictures and details of last years meetup can be found on the Astrofest 2014 thread, all previous years can be found by looking at the old forum's meetup index ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

UPDATE (22/01/2015):

Friday:

As there are so few of us going on the Friday we are not going to be arranging any meals etc... You are more than welcome to come and hangout with us, and a trip to the pub for Lunch will most likely be on the cards ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Saturday:

We will be meeting for the traditional Saturday lunch at the Devonshire Arms (37 Marloes Road, London W8 6LA), they open at 12pm, those arriving from the morning sessions may arrive a little later, but there will certainly be some Zooites there from the opening time.

For those going to the resturant for dinner, we will most likely meetup after the last session and go for a drink with friends. We will then all walk down to Chez Patrick for dinner. I have made the reservation for 19:30.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Wow, already the 8th year ! ๐Ÿ˜„

I can only recommend it ! Astrofest itself is lots of fun and meeting fellow zooites is the best thing ever ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

I am trying to work out if it is the 8th or the 7th Astrofest meetup - I am getting conflicting answers when looking at the old forum...

Posted

GZ started in 2007, so the first Astrofest meet-up was in 2008. This means this year's Astrofest is the 8th one in GZ/Zooniverse history ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Phew! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Woohoo ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator

Yes, coun't me in for the 8th too! ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks for this topic, Julianne

Hx

Posted

Yay ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

๐Ÿ˜ƒ have a great time everyone. Oh and lot of pictures for those of us that can not go!

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather

Please count me in.
    Attending the lectures Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, I think we ended up at the "Prince Of Wales" pub, on Saturday evening.

Posted

Will do Elizabeth!

John, no concrete plans have been made yet ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

At this stage we will be organising dinner on the Saturday and 2 pub lunches at the Devonshire Arms.

Posted

• jules by jules

It's definitely the Zoo's 8th and my 9th!

I'll be there Friday. Astrofest is highly recommended and it's always lovely to meet new people so I hope to see some new faces as well as the lovely "old" ones. ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Yay, Jules ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I do hope we will have some new faces ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Oh yes, Steven and I will come over for the weekend (we're both working on the Friday, so we won't make it to Astrofest then). We're free for Saturday lunch & dinner in any case (and Sunday depends on our departure time). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

• Blackprojects by Blackprojects

I will be present in Some form or other !

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Hanny's comment.

Excellent Hanny - At this point we will do Saturday lunch at the Devonshire Arms. As for dinner, I know Geoff is keen to go back to the French restaurant.

I have put together a few choices that are in the Kensington and within walking distance from the town hall. I think we have learned from past experience that we should avoid central London ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Blackprojects's comment.

Looking forward to seeing you BP!

I might need you help ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I am thinking about getting some binoculars - a telescope in London is not proving very practical!

Posted

I think we should make a decision on the restaurant this week so I can make reservations ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N. in response to Capella05's comment.

Can we vote on which restaurant to invade? The Italian is the one we've used before? Very average I remember. The Britannia looks horrible- why travel to London to eat in a pub? The French eatery looks OK, although ยฃ40 for two fillet steaks looks a bit steep, even for Kensington. How about an Indian? The Star of India looks pleasant enough. http://www.starofindia.eu/index.html

Posted

My choice

1.Il Portico (definitely not the Italian we've been to before)

2. Chez Patrick
    3. Brittania
    But I'll go with the flow ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Rick N.'s comment.

Hi Rick,

No, it is not the same Italian ๐Ÿ˜ƒ This one is on Kensington High St. I do like Indian food (and I had seen that restaurant), but a few of the Zooites do not eat spicy food, so Thai / Chinese / Indian tend to be off the menu. We have to try and cater (within reason!) for everyone.

Of course the decision is on the floor, which is why I posted a few options that I had found, but we really need to make a decision soon. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to Capella05's comment.

Chez Patrick is my choice, as I have been there before with other Zoonites, after an Astrofest and it is not too far from the Devonshire Arms & my hotel.

2nd choice - Il Portico.

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to Capella05's comment.

Image Stabilising binoculars might be a good choice, I was going to buy some at an Astrofest, but the vendor did not come back to me, so I lost interest.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to johnfairweather's comment.

I was thinking something along those lines, but small enough to fit in a backpack.

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

Italian or French seems OK.

Posted

Great! I will wait for a few more responses before booking.

Apart from the people who have already responded in this thread, there are about another 6 zooites joining us, not counting others that have not yet replied to my invites ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• GeoffRoynon by GeoffRoynon

French or Italian for me! I hope to be around for Astrofest depending on when I move house.

Posted

I don't mind coming to London for a pub meal ๐Ÿ˜‰ (In fact, the others look a bit expensive to be honest). Also, why is our usual Italian suddenly only average? We went there for years, happily, so it must be better than that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Anyway, if the group wants a change, I understand. I would vote for the Brittania then though...

Posted

The Britannia looks fine to me as well. Not sure how big their dining area is though so we need to check that.

Posted

Do we already know how big the definite group is?

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N. in response to Hanny's comment.

Also, why is our usual Italian suddenly only average?

Because it is only average... Why do all GZ meetups revolve round pubs? Personally, I've been to enough pubs and bars and can't really be bothered to travel up to London to sit in one and eat mediocre food from a microwave: I can do that at home. Please can we avoid a pub? Dare to try something different?

Posted

At this point we are looking at 10 confirmed, 2 maybes and still waiting for 4 people to reply.

That's not counting anyone else reading this thread that might want to come along, but haven't posted yet ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

The ZOO Was Founded in a PUB(The Royal Oak oxford) So Pub"s are very deer to the hearts of Older (Longer time ) Zooites!

So Some of us will Sneak off to the PUB and Enjoy some chatting and drinking!

Posted

Rick, I appreciate your opinion, even though I personally agree with Blackprojects ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for the update, Julianne

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Someone send me a photo!

It's a bit of a trek from this side of the Atlantic... ^_^

Posted

So... looking at all of the responses I think we can take The Britannia off the list for Saturday dinner.

It is between French and Italian. If you do know any other restaurants in Kensington - please post it!

As long as I can make the reservation by Friday PM - we should be fine ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Infinity by Infinity moderator

Just catching up here and actually I think the pub is a good idea, I think it is a bit more sociable than a restaurant for a bigger group and it is accessible by everyone. To me it is the catching up with everyone that is the important part of the tradition (as BP says) and it means everyone can be involved without money worries. The Italian was good because although the food wasn't amazing it was relatively inexpensive and we could make the place our own to some degree. I'll only be around Saturday due to business commitments btw.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Infinity's comment.

Hey Inf ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Do you have a suggestion then?

And no, BellaVista is not on the menu - I have had 5 separate requests not to go back there ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Well there are pubs like http://www.princessvictoriakensington.com nearby. But the majority will have to decide, as like you I won't have time to do research and I realise some booking needs to be made.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Sorry, I won't be coming. I am retiring and am trying to cut down on spending. But I'll still be coming to ZooCon.

Actually, I like the Italian because it was cheap, and quiet and I could hear people when they talked. But I guess I don't get a vote since I'm not coming. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Budgieye's comment.

I am really sorry you can't be there Budgie ๐Ÿ˜ฆ but, I look forward to seeing you in July in Oxford ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Will miss you at AstroFest Christine!

As far as someone to eat, I don't mind the Britannia, looks like it has a large enough table for us and probably cheaper than a restaurant.

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to DZM's comment.

I'm sure lots of pictures will be taken and shared, yes ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Budgieye's comment.

I'm sorry to hear you won't be there for Astrofest, but see you at ZooCon then indeed! x

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Infinity's comment.

Good point Inf. Personally I don't come over for the food either; I want to catch up with as much friends as I can too and I agree a pub is better for that (or a lesser fancy restaurant like the usual Italian, which lets us move chairs and stuff). ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to GeoffRoynon's comment.

Thanks for checking, Geoff! If the Britannia is big enough for us (and I assume it's nearby enough as it was a first suggestion), than that's still a good suggestion, right?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DZM's comment.

Sounds like lots of fun will be had by all!

It's a bit of a trek from this side of the Atlantic... ^_^

True, that. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Any plans for a meetup in one of the former colonies? ๐Ÿ˜›

Posted

• GeoffRoynon by GeoffRoynon in response to JeanTate's comment.

There have been at least two meetups in the US, one in California and one in New York city. I think it's up to the people in the local area to arrange meetups outside the UK.
    Maybe start a topic in Chat saying "Anyone interested in meeting in " and see what sort of response you get.

Posted

My tickets arrived today - All four sessions. Woohoo!

Posted

• Rona by Rona

Well, hello everyone, long time no chat ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I will probably only be able to make the Friday sessions, as it's my Mother-in-Law's 80th B'Day tea party on the Saturday ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

However, Nigel and I will definitely be attending the supper on Saturday evening ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Rona's comment.

Yay! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜„

Looks like it is just you, me, Els and Jules going to the Friday talks!

Edit to add: I am sure I have forgotten someone?

Edit to add2: Yes I did, I think John is also going on Friday PM.

Posted

Yay ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• jules by jules

A small select Friday gathering then! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Astrofest has been very late confirming the speakers but Friday has the more interesting programme for me this year and we're off visiting family on the Saturday. I'll be sorry to miss lots of you - but there is always Zoocon. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Really sorry you can't make it budgie - but I'm sure you'll enjoy your retirement!

Posted

• Rona by Rona in response to Budgieye's comment.

So sorry you won't be there, Budgie, we'll miss you xxxx

Posted

• Rona by Rona in response to jules's comment.

At least a 'small, select gathering' means a round of drinks at lunchtime will be cheaper ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Groan !!! ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Rona by Rona

.......or we could drink champagne ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

oooooh ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on the plans ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

As mentioned earlier in the thread I will be making the booking for the Saturday night dinner tomorrow. We now have 12 confirmed attendees and 2 maybe's. I have not heard back from ScaryItalian, so if anyone has her contact details, could you let her know about our plans? Also, it is not too late for anyone else who would like to attend ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

In the end the votes were as follows: Italian (1) Pub (2) and French (7)

The majority has spoken and Chez Patrick it is. It is also the quietest of the 3 choices, so we should be able to chat quite freely ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I am not too sure what time I should make the reservation for, as we usually have a drink after the conference with any Astrofest friends that aren't coming too dinner. Suggestions? 19:30?

Posted

7:30 - 8 is perfect. thanks for arranging things ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Capella05's comment.

Hey it was at least four for the pub, I think, but that's okay. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I was going to suggest two groups anyhow? Those who feel strongly about the pub and those who feel strongly about the fancy restaurant? We can still see everyone for lunch or at the venue itself! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Hanny's comment.

Only you and Infinity voted for the pub. Geoff's first choice was the French restaurant. I only included people who responded either in this thread or in email ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I specifically did not post my preference as I wished to remain impartial and not unduly influence anyone.

However you wish to count it, the French Restaurant still has the most votes, and we have always gone with the group decision ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I know and I didn't mean Geoff ๐Ÿ˜‰ I thought: Inf, BP, Steven and I (but maybe BP is not coming?) Anyway, as you said, apparently there are 7 for the restaurant, so of course I wouldn't want to interupt with the group's vote indeed! It's not a big deal anyhow, no worries from my end! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

BP is not coming to dinner - he never was. He was making a general post about the GZ and pubs. We do like pubs (I can certainly attest to that!) - just not all the time!

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

Do they do curries?

Posted

You could try and bring your own ! ๐Ÿ˜„ (just joking)

Posted

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

I was thinking more of le curry d'escargot. No?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Rick N.'s comment.

I love escargot! (snails...yum!). I guess you could request it?

I could ask when I book tomorrow?

Posted

Will there be a list of attendees?

Posted

I have contacted ScaryItalian, via Twitter, about the Dinner/Meet-up, but no reply as yet.

Thanks for arranging everything Capella05.

Posted

Thanks John!

Those attending the dinner on Saturday are: Capella05, ElisabethB, Geoff*, Echo-Lily-mai + 1, Rona + 1, Edd*, RickN, JohnF, AnnieQ

Still waiting for a few more replies to my email, but there should be 10 at the minimum.

Posted

Thanks Capella05,

Posted

Just so you guys know, Edd told me he'll only be around for "some pub", so you don't have to count on him for dinner. I have also contacted Scary (a couple of days ago) and told her to get in touch with you if she wanted to join you. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ x

Posted

And that is why Edd had a asterix after his name - He was a maybe ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I thought so, yes... ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Rona by Rona

Thanks, Capella05, for sorting all this out, well done ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hanny - I don't think we'll see each other this time, because I can only make the Friday sessions (and entertainments ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ) and the Saturday evening meal. Hopefully we can do it at the next meet up. R x

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Rona's comment.

Ah yes, verry sorry to miss you Rona, but I'm sure we can catch up later in the year X

Posted

• howardx1 by howardx1

Hey all,
    Just a quick note to say I'll be at AstroFest again this year.. I have tickets to all sessions (Friday and Saturday) so I'm geared up to get my geek on!
    I'll be coming to whichever pub the masses will be heading to, so I look forward to catching up with you all there (if not, throughout the days) ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to howardx1's comment.

Hi Todd, good to see you around ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to howardx1's comment.

Yay! See ya there x

Posted

• rocketboytom by rocketboytom

Hello!

My name is Thomas Hillman. I'm a social scientist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden working on a project examining the phenomenon of citizen science. We are working with three different citizen science projects and one of them is Galaxy Zoo.

I will be at Astrofest this year and wondered if anyone would mind if I came along when you guys when you go out to a pub? I'd love to meet some experienced zooites and just chat a bit about your experiences. I don't want to impose so feel free to tell me you don't like the idea. I won't take it personally!

Posted

Hi Thomas,

Check your pms. Looking forward to meeting you at Astrofest ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to rocketboytom's comment.

Hello from me too! Looking forward to meeting you at Astrofest!

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to rocketboytom's comment.

Welcome to the Zoo from me too! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I have Messaged Scary directly on Twitter pointing out this thread

Posted

• rocketboytom by rocketboytom in response to Hanny's comment.

Thankyou!

Posted

• rocketboytom by rocketboytom in response to Capella05's comment.

See you there, thanks!

Posted

You will be Assimilated you will become one with the ZOO!

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Blackprojects's comment.

Oh I told Scary about the pub and dinner plans and that she should contact Julianne if you fancied the latter, but she said she'll just go to the pub too. (She's had problems with her mail). But thanks for poking her as well, BP ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Well me and Scary Tweet on a Daily basis so was Simple to say Hay look at this!

Posted

Just to update, I've ordered Tickets for the Saturday afternoon sessions for Annie and me. Annie will be doing the evening pub grub option if that helps the planning. Looking forward to seeing you all then.

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Infinity's comment.

Ah cool Infie, thanks for poking Q, as always! ๐Ÿ˜„ Steven and I have Saturday afternoon sessions too (we're arriving Saturday morning by boat and train and we're flying back Sunday afternoon). Looking forward to see you all lots ๐Ÿ˜ƒ x

Posted

The restaurant meal is booked and is going ahead with 10 confirmed attendees ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I will update the original post with all the details - woohoo! ๐Ÿ˜„

Sorry I have not posted an update sooner, but I did find it upsetting that many people have been put in the uncomfortable position of having to choose between the two events, just because the option that majority had voted for was not to the liking of a few. It kind of makes the whole point of everyone having a say in where we go, kind off pointless!

Anyway enough of me blathering on.

Have fun at Astrofest everyone and I hope to see many of you there! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Since I'm "one of the few" who decided not to go along with the group's decision, I feel I should respond. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Personally, I'm pleased for the majority of the group to go for their decision and, as I said before, no hard feelings from me.

I also think it's far less uncomfortable for people to choose between a less expensive option and a fancier option, than not have a choice at all and to feel forced to spend more money than they should on dinner. Now I don't want anyone of the group to take this personally, that I'm not coming, and I trust you'll understand my reasons behind it (as they have everything to do with insecure jobsituations and nothing with any of you personally). ๐Ÿ˜‰

As mentioned in the first post of this thread, there are several (social) happenings this weekend and I do hope nobody will blame me for opting out of one, especially considering my explanation. If anyone does blame me, or any of the others going to the pub though, that's of course everyone's right, but still no hard feelings from me. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Just to clarify!

See you all at the event in any case xx

Posted

I have updated the OP with the following - if anything changes, I will update the first post and make a note in the thread ๐Ÿ˜ƒ:

UPDATE (22/01/2015):

Friday:

As there are so few of us going on the Friday we are not going to be arranging any meals etc... You are more than welcome to come and hangout with us, and a trip to the pub for lunch will most likely be on the cards ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Saturday:

We will be meeting for the traditional Saturday lunch at the Devonshire Arms (37 Marloes Road, London W8 6LA), they open at 12pm, those arriving from the morning sessions may arrive a little later, but there will certainly be some Zooites there from the opening time.

For those going to the resturant for dinner, we will most likely meetup after the last session and go for a drink with friends. We will then all walk down to Chez Patrick for dinner. I have made the reservation for 19:30.

Looking forward to seeing you all there! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Thanks Capella05, looks an interesting menu, with some nice wines.

I know when a few of us visited the โ€œChez Patrickโ€, three or four years ago, we spent some time looking for relative cheap items on the menu.

(Incidentally, one of the attendees on that night (Alice, aka Penguin Galaxy), is currently in Zurich (along with Kevin S.), giving a talk on Citizen Science. There are some comments/photos of the event, at https://twitter.com/hashtag/cszh?src=hash)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to johnfairweather's comment.

I would go with the chicken - It is a bargain for Kensington ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Or you copy my game plan and eat before hand, and order a starter and dessert ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

And kudos to Alice - I saw the photos from Kevin - excellent job to both of them ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Well that's the food sorted, now all we have to do is decide on flagons of beer, or wine (white or red) or a South African liquor?

Yes, Twitter is very good for catchng up on snippets of conferences.

Posted

• scaryitalian by scaryitalian

Hello everyone, can't log in from mobile at all, finally got hold of a computer just to say hi and looking forward to meeting you all. Will attend both days so plenty of time to catch up with everyone, will be in the pub group on Sat. Love to all!!!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to scaryitalian's comment.

Nice to see you Scary ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Rona by Rona in response to johnfairweather's comment.

I'll pass on flagons, thanks, and head straight for the White wine ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

• Rona by Rona in response to scaryitalian's comment.

So sorry, Scary, but I won't be around during the day on the Saturday to catch up with you ๐Ÿ˜ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Have fun ๐Ÿ˜—

Posted

i hope to be there with possibly a new camera

Posted

• Jan_Brandt by Jan_Brandt

Hmmm, It has been sometime since my last post, which by the way was on "the old forum" so to speak....but..ah...allthough, as Hanny told me when we met last fryday at my local astro-society, this "galaxy zoo talk" looks indeed a bit less sort of "sleek" as the old one, it is still good to notice that "all the familiar faces" are still present....and..ah...allthough, for reasons still unknown to me, attempts getting my ass over to Astrofest seem to be somehow rarther "jinxed" the past few years, including this year....grrr... as well. I wanna wish "all those familiar faces" a very joyful one or two days at ye wonderful Astro/Galaxy zoo-fest!!!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Jan Brandt's comment.

Oh drats ! I'll miss you lots (again), this Astrofest ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Blackprojects's comment.

Oooh, Will this mean lots of high end pictures ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Jan Brandt's comment.

Hey Jan, good to see you back here! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

If i get the camera i want will be a 30X or 42x 14 or 16 mega pixel camera the latter will produce images so Big they could be blown up to cover the sie of a house

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Blackprojects's comment.

Um, just no close ups of me ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Images the size of a house ! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ! ๐Ÿ˜„ !

Posted

Sounds like that euro,.advert, of a year or so ago, where a mother sees a large photo of her modelling daughter, on the side of a building - "Nice to see you have a job", she says.

Posted

One week to go!

Woohoo ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Capella05's comment.

Woohoo from me too ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Alice by Alice

Looking forward to seeing you all! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Yeay ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig

Ooooooohhhhhhh ***************************************!!!!! I've left it too late again! I just logged back in after several months out, and wanted to go to Astrofest and realised that all the tickets for Saturday have gone! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Is anyone going on Friday?

Posted

Yep, a couple of us will be there on Friday as well ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Peter Dzwig's comment.

And - although I'm assuming you would have liked to see the lectures on Saturday - you do know you can still go to see the exhibition on Saturday too right? (And join us for lunch/dinner) ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I will be about on Saturday

Posted

• Rona by Rona

Three sleeps, and counting ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Looking forward to seeing everyone who's there on Friday ๐Ÿ˜—

Posted

As this is our yearly meetup,

I was wondering, if nobody has any objections, I will pay for the Saturday Night Dinner drinks, even if you just want to pop in for a drink.

A flagon (or two) of Champagne maybe, anyone? Here is the wine list (French naturally) - http://www.chez-patrick.co.uk/wine.html

(As this is only a small gathering of about 12 people, maybe 3 or 4 bottles of wine is needed, next Friday's RAS meeting, we normally have about 30/40 internationals, for dinner - nobody seems to talk much about astronomy.)

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N. in response to johnfairweather's comment.

As I have been contemplating sparkling mineral water, paid-for champagne seems a very good idea indeed.

Posted

Hi Everyone ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Just catching up on this thread - work and illness (yup, again!) has kept me really busy over the past few weeks - Sorry ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

@Alice - will be fantastic to see you again! I think I might of missed you last year? or was it the year before =\

@PeterD - If you are hanging around on the Saturday, you are welcome to join us for dinner ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@BlackProjects - excellent! ๐Ÿ˜„

@RickN- have you seen this latest study - apparently fizzy water is bad for you ๐Ÿ˜‰ Then again it is from the daily fail!

@Rona - Woohoo - 2 sleeps to go!

@JohnF - I do object ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ - I am happy to go havies. Has it been decided where we are having the "Saturday night - all together - predinner drinks" ??? - I am leaving that up to someone else to decide. My days of arranging meetups is officially over. Too much stress! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Thanks Capella05,

I would suggest going to the Devonshire pub, after Saturday afternoon's Astrofest. Have a few drinks there, then those who want to could move on to the restaurant and have a few drinks there, with those who just want to come for the drinks.

I see Friday night is rugby night - "Wales vs England" - from memory , the Devonshire pub is packed.

Posted

If you are coming from Abroad wrap up WARM and expect Snow Showers as i have them hear at Present!

Posted

Weather for Friday "Dry with sunny intervals south and west. Feeling very cold in the brisk wind across the south of England. Icy start southeast. "Saturday Some Clouds but very Cold Wind Chill down to -2c Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Posted

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr indeed! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

A bit of what I'm drinking at the moment will soon warm you up - good job my hotel is almost next to the venue, so not too far to walk.

Posted

The lunch-pub is usually the Devonshire Arms indeed, although there will also be a group at the Prince of Wales pub. Go with the flow? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

In any event, Steven and I will leave tomorrow afternoon and see you guys on Saturday ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I Will have to re find the devonshire as did not make it to Last years Astrofest

Posted

I am grounded just not enough Money in the bank to do any thing with so No Astrofest for me this year!

Posted

Having a good time here - met up with Mary, mark, Todd, Rona, Jules, capella05, elizb in the pub.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Great -- thinking of you.

Posted

Just had a good dinner out, with some zooites - nice conversations.

Posted

Thanks for organising the dinner capella05.

Posted

• Rick_N. by Rick_N.

Yes thanks from me also. Got back to Bristol O.K at round 1am after a lovely meal and free champagne.

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to Budgieye's comment.

By the way Christine, my hotel room seemed to be just a box room, no chair, where the shower (just right in temperature) was bigger than the bed!

Posted

Thank you to everyone who turned up for Astrofest - it was a wonderful weekend!

@rocketboytom - I hope we did not scare you off! It was fantastic to meet you:-)

@Vrooje and @Budgie, myself and Els have a little present for both of you, but you might have to wait till ZooCon to receive them ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I sadly did not take any pictures, but maybe someone else did?

As I have mentioned before, I will no longer be organising meetups, so feel free to arrange them youselves!

Posted

Just want to say it was a lovely Astrofest and so much fun meeting lots of you . I just got safely back to Belgium. Soo looking forward to Zoocon ! ๐Ÿ˜„ And yes, there are some presents involved ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

I just got home safely too. Thanks to all who've contributed to the lovely time this weekend; it was great to see you all again! We may have a couple of pictures to share later... ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to Capella05's comment.

"Ears perk up" present? Sounds great. I hope y'all had a lovely time.

Posted

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai

Hi everyone, so lovely to see you all again, it felt like the gang was back together. I took a couple of pictures which made you all look absolutely awful - and you are not awful at all, so I won't be posting them!!

Budgieye hopefully I will catch up with you in Oxford.

Just one quick sensible note... I just want to say how fantastic Megan Whewell's lecture was in "Supermassive Black Holes" Well done you!

Take care all.

Posted

I took two photos, both rather awful (as well) - might try some image processing on selected areas, to see if I can make them better.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to echo-lily-mai's comment.

I just want to say how fantastic Megan Whewell's lecture was in "Supermassive Black Holes"

Wasn't she just! and still only doing her PhD!

Excellent speaker, and it was great to get a take on AGN's from an x-ray / spectra point of view ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I'm attending a public talk on Friday on "Black Hole Births in Real Time", though not by Megan, which was well presented at at Astrofest.

(Got two other talks - on Lunar Geology, one by Allan Chapman - which seemed rather similar to his Astrofest's one.)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I can't wait to see the photos from this! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Before any images get posted, just remember to get the permission from everyone in the image ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Excellent!

Public service announcement over ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• rocketboytom by rocketboytom in response to Capella05's comment.

Thanks! It was great to meet you all too ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to rocketboytom's comment.

I had a great time talking to you too !

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to rocketboytom's comment.

Thanks, hope your research goes ok, with all our feedback.

Posted

Just seen last Friday's lunchtime Devonshire pub photo, of Jules, ElizB, Rona and Capella05 - nice photo & memories (taken by me).

Posted

My only two good photos are of Rick & Nigel.

Posted

Oh well, I guess we will just have to remember to take photos up in Oxford for ZooCon.

Posted

I've posted a few pictures here:
    http://www.hannysvoorwerp.com/?p=5328

Thanks again to everyone who's made it a lovely weekend!
    See you at ZooCon ๐Ÿ˜ƒ x

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to johnfairweather's comment.

If anybody wants to PM me, I will send my two photos on to them (a bit more in them, then Nigel & Rick), then they could (probably) be tidied up a bit.

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to Hanny's comment.

Thanks, interesting decor in the pub you went to.

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to johnfairweather's comment.

: )

Posted