Galaxy Zoo Talk

Tagging my UKIDSS collection

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

At the moment I am tagging my UKIDSS collection. There are 250 galaxies in that collection and I already tagged half of them. By the end of this week I'll have finished.
    I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, although I really don't see any problems.

I am tagging the galaxies

1. for my own convenience and
    2. for GZ volunteers who might want to look for/at them.

If volunteers have any questions I'll be glad to answer them, just like I did yesterday when someone asked me what a ZOAG galaxy was. The moderators can answer too, after all, that is their job.

Cheers,
    Abe

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Obviously you are free to tag what you want ! 😄

My only problem with this is that it can and will confuse newbees when they see images that have long been retired from classifying. What if someone started posting Hubble images or Stripe82 ? That would really be confusing !

And thanks for reminding us what our job is ! 😄

Posted

Look, if these images are a source of confusion, then Zooniverse should remove them. Problem solved.

If newbies are serious and intend on staying - like I did on Planet Hunters - they will ask questions, learn and do their studies. That is what I did on PH.

I am happy to answer and help newbies, I have helped a number on PH. But we all have different backgrounds, knowledge and experience, and some of the volunteers are a bit more advanced than others.

Some newbies shouldn't be underestimated, a number of them can figure things out for themselves. And those of us who are a bit more advanced shouldn't feel restrained by constantly being reminded of keeping newbies in mind and adjusting our comments for them. In the long run that will prove to be counter productive for GZ and science in general.

It was never a problem on Planet Hunters, it shouldn't be a problem here. Let's just be ourselves, contribute to this project and help others along the way.

My two cents.

Abe

Posted

I just finished tagging my UKIDSS collection 😃 .

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

What's the tag? #UKIDDS ? Did you make a tag group? (You should!) 😃

Posted

Most of the galaxies are in my UKIDSS collection: http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/collections/CGZS000ifz . If you click a galaxy beneath the image it says UKIDSS, which means it is an infrared image. Most of them are blue, some pinkish. For more on UKIDSS: http://www.ukidss.org/

A number of UKIDSS galaxies are listed in NGC, UGC and Markarian catalogues, hence the tags #NGC, #UGC and #MRK.

Also some of them have an active galactic nucleus ( #AGN), are quasars ( #QSO or #Quasar) or Seyfert galaxies ( #Seyfert).

A few of them have an x-shaped bulge ( #x-shaped).

It thought tagging them would make it easier for those who might want to look for them.

I wasn't here when these galaxies had to be classified a year ago. So it was a bit of catching up and educational for me too 😃.

Nowadays we have the usual galaxies to classify again 😃.

Posted

Edit: Thanks Billy for pointing out I misspelled UKIDSS, I edited my posts and made the right corrections 😃

Posted