Galaxy Zoo Talk

ZooCon 2015 - Oxford UK - 11 July 2015

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

ZooCon 2015

ZooCon, our annual conference for our volunteers, will take place on the afternoon of Saturday 11th July this year in Oxford.

Please join us for discussions inspired by our projects. Whether you're interested in ecology, astronomy, humanites, or the future of the Zooniverse, there will be something for you to hear about*. We will have a range of talks by Zooniverse team members and researchers behind various projects. We'll then head to the place where it all began - the Royal Oak pub! Tickets are free. To reserve yours now, go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/zoocon-2015-tickets-16610690021 .

The talks will take place in the Dennis Sciama lecture theatre, Denys Wilkinson Building (Keble Rd, Oxford OX1 3RH) from 1pm-5pm - you'll need us to let you in so please arrive on time.

enter image description here

Posted

If you are looking for accommodation - University Rooms Oxford is an affordable option. Alot of us have stayed at the various Colleges in the past 😃

Posted

For anyone planning on joining- here is more info on Oxford from Visit Oxfordshire

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig

Thanks Capella. Got my tickets reserved.

Do we meet before in the RO for an early lunch or do people want to do something else?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Peter Dzwig's comment.

That sounds like a very good plan ! 😃

Posted

The RO only opens at 12pm - so it might be a bit tight if people want to have a bite of food, but it always has been the traditional meeting place...

I am sure Geoff will be on with some suggestions. but I am happy to go with the flow!

Posted

• GeoffRoynon by GeoffRoynon

The Eagle and Child pub opens at 11am and is not too far from the Royal Oak. Not sure what the food is like there though!

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Food at the Eagle and Child is fine, but it's a very touristy pub (because of the connection to Tolkien), and the back rooms are somewhat uninspired, so I recommend reserving one or both of the nooks right by the front door well in advance if you'd like to have lunch there. I don't think they have a garden but I don't go there very often so am happy to be corrected on that!

Alternatively I could suggest the Rose and Crown, who also appear to open at 11; it's only a few minutes' extra walk and they have nice food and a relaxing back garden with a retractable awning structure so it's very pleasant rain or shine.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to vrooje's comment.

Sounds like a lovely suggestion Brooke 😃

I think a recce is in order Geoff!

Posted

I'll check out the Rose and Crown for lunch soon!

Posted

• Rona by Rona

Tickets reserved, hotel booked, can't wait 😄 😄 😄

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Rona's comment.

Yippieee ! 😄

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig in response to GeoffRoynon's comment.

Personally I think that the food in the Bird and Baby (Eagle and Child) is a bit variable, but it is convenient!

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig in response to vrooje's comment.

Subject to Geoff's check 😉 - very important - I agree with The Rose and Crown.

Posted

The Rose and Crown is a good place for lunch. They open at 11am but the kitchen is only open from noon. If there are enough people interested we may be able to book food ahead of time and be able to eat soon after noon.
    We need to know how many people want to eat lunch before the talk so I can speak to the Rose and Crown and see if they take pre-orders for lunch. I will try and get a copy of the menu to post.
    Their beer is good, they have WiFi and a small garden.

Posted

Just bumping up to remind everyone to reserve their tickets!

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather

What about Friday night, or are the mods having a meeting?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to johnfairweather's comment.

Hi John, we have never had 'Mods only' meetings or events - or at least I was never invited to them! 😄

Edited to add: Oh - I totally forgot! Are you are talking about last year? That was more about us new GZ mods being introduced (IRL) to the ZooHQ team, and having a cup of tea 😃

Posted

Yes, that was about last year.

Posted

Nothing formal has been planned for the Friday evening at ZooCon but places in the centre of Oxford tend to be crowded on Friday evenings, especially the pubs.
    I suggest that we try a restaurant out of the centre and a good one is the Al-Shami restaurant in Jericho.

Al Shami Lebanese restaurant

We will need to book so we need an idea of numbers. I prefer eating early rather than late so I think 7pm is a good time to aim for. We could adjourn to the Bookbinders or some other hostelry in Jericho after the meal.

Please post and let me know if you're interested or if you have ideas for other restaurants.

Posted

Sounds good - count me in 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to GeoffRoynon's comment.

Count me in as well ! 😄

Posted

Just heard from djj (David) and he will be coming to the lecture and the Royal Oak afterwards, not sure if he will be in Oxford on Friday - I'll check with him.

Posted

FWIW I won't arrive until Saturday

Peter

Posted

Geoff, Good to hear David will be there on the Saturday, and Peter looking forward to seeing you again!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Capella05's comment.

Yeay on both accounts from me too ! 😄

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to GeoffRoynon's comment.

Please count me in Geoff.

Posted

So that is seven for dinner so far 😃

Posted

• Peter_Dzwig by Peter_Dzwig in response to Capella05's comment.

You all too

Posted

• Rona by Rona

Did I hear food mentioned? 😄 😄 😄

Please count Mr B and me in for the kebab fest for Friday evening 😗

Sooo looking forward to seeing everyone 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Rona's comment.

Yeay ! 😄

Posted

BTW if anyone wants a really great pizza by the river one evening, wander down to Christ Church, outside which is a wood fired pizza van which cooks gourmet pizzas on the spot. Then take them down to the river, possibly via Christ Church Meadows. Just a thought if you are at a loss for food. But they are only there in the evenings.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

That sounds absolutely lovely!

(note to self : write this down somewhere you can easily find it again ! ) 😄

Thanks for the tip Peter !

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator

Hello! (I only just spotted this topic!)

Steven and I booked our trip. We'll be there from Saturday noon-ish till Sunday, probably the same time. Don't count on us to join in on lunch meals though (we will of course be there for the Saturday pub things), as we're not sure on exact arrival and departure times yet.

As always, looking forward to it! 😃

Posted

Bumping this up!

Just over 1 month to go... Follow the link on the first post (in this thread) to book your tickets 😃

Posted

Got my tickets!!

Posted

Is there a programme yet? Not the pub lunchtime -talks-drink more type but who is speaking and when?

Posted

Nope ! I'm just as curious as you are ! 😄

Posted

• Blackprojects by Blackprojects

I most likely will not be present as my pay days do not merge with the event so i will be staying at home!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Blackprojects's comment.

Oh no ! That is a shame. We'll miss you lots !

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Blackprojects's comment.

Sorry you won't be there BP - but I understand. You will be missed - who else brings stroopwaffels? 😄

ps. Don't forget to cancel your ticket - it is really important that Grant and co have an accurate number of attendees.

Posted

• Edd by Edd scientist

Just signed up for the pub. Might combine it with a family visit so probably wouldn't squeeze in the talks, but looking forward to seeing you all!

Posted

From those who remember Penrose Tiles, on the floor outside of the building opposite the Royal Oak, might be interested in the article in today's Times of when Roger Penrose met E. C. Esher (Exhibition of E. C. Esher's art, Edinburgh 27th June to September 27th). The article doesn't mention the tiles, but does mention Fish and Scales at the Ashmolean (Oxford).

Posted

I've booked a table for 8 people at the Al Shami restaurant for Friday evening from 7pm. If anyone else is going to join us please let me know so I can update the booking.

Posted

• Blackprojects by Blackprojects

That is done no more tickets for BP so every one else enjoy now 57 free tickets

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to GeoffRoynon's comment.

I would like to come to the restaurant.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Budgieye's comment.

Yeay ! 😄

Posted

• GeoffRoynon by GeoffRoynon in response to Budgieye's comment.

Hi Christine, seven people said they were interested in the Friday evening meal and I booked the table for eight people in case someone else wanted to join us - so you will make up the eight!

If there are any more takers let me know and I will adjust the booking.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Excellent that I got to squeeze my chair in!

Posted

Does anyone know how many people are coming to the main event?

Posted

According to the ticket site : 43 tickets for the Talks

Posted

And I still have to order ours 😛

Posted

I see the list of speakers have just been published.

Posted

So it has - initial posted amended with the list of speakers.

Posted

Just a friendly reminder to everyone - if you have booked tickets for the talks and are no longer able to attend, please can you remember to cancel them 😃

It is really helpful for the organisers to have an accurate number of people attending!

Many thanks and looking forward to seeing you all there 😃

Posted

• jules by jules

Did we decide on where to have lunch before it all kicks off on Saturday or have I missed that bit? I'll arrive on Saturday morning and need to know which direction to point myself in. :) Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to jules's comment.

No, we never decided as most pubs will only serve food from 12pm. The Royal Oak opens at 11am, but only does food from 12pm.

I guess we do the same as every year - meet at the Royal Oak and then walk over together to the venue?

Posted

• jules by jules

Sounds like a plan! See you at the RO for some light refreshment first then. 😃

Posted

We seem to have conflicting reports on the internet as to the opening hours of the Royal Oak - Google says 11am the pubs website says 12pm.

Geoff can you clarify?

Posted

The Royal Oak pub opens at noon. The Rose and Crown opens earlier but only does food from noon.

Posted

In that case it doesn't really matter much where we go, does it ? I'm voting for the Royal Oak ! 😄

And thanks Geoff for checking things out !

Posted

With exams coming up, I'll only have time to plan things on Friday, so I'm still not sure what time we'll be where exactly, but all our tickets are sorted, so see you Saturday! 😄

Posted

I wonder if it will be on the internet?

Posted

So, are we agreed on the Royal Oak then?

Peter

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Peter Dzwig's comment.

Yeah - Royal Oak.

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to Budgieye's comment.

According to this link, it might be - https://www.zooniverse.org/#/talk/14/183

Posted

• Rona by Rona

Woohoo, 2 sleeps to go!!

😄 😄 😄

Posted

On my way now - nice cold beer in two hours time.

Posted

See you all tomorrow!

Peter

Posted

As ZooCon 2015 is now being streamed LIVE, I will have to dress smart.

Posted

Thanks to Grant, Brooke, Ali, Victoria, Tom and all who presented. It was a very special ZooCon.
    Thanks to all Zooites for a great evening in the pub. I look forward to seeing the pics and to seeing you all again.

PLEASE will someone remind me about Astrofest so that I can get tickets for next year.

Look forward to lots more GZ-ing.

Peter

Posted

Will do 😉

And yes, what a lovely weekend! Thanks to all who've contributed to that 😃

Posted

Just got back from Oxford - what an amazing weekend! 😄

A big thank you to Grant for organizing and hosting - and to Brooke, Becky, Victoria, Ali, Alyssa and Tom for some amazing talks. Met some amazing volunteers,and have discovered a few new projects to try out.

Thanks to everyone that attended, and hopefully we can do this again next year 😄

Posted

Just got home safe and sound ! I'm too knackered to add a sensible comment, except that it was an absolutely fab weekend !

Thanks everyone for organizing and/or participating. 😄

Posted

It was so, so great to see everyone! 😃 Thank you all so much for joining!

Posted

A very enjoyable weekend, meeting 50 or so like-minded people and listening to well presented talks and with a lot of new projects coming up, a time to try different projects. Thanks to all the scientists for taking the day off to give us the talks.

(A bit different to a non-astro meeting, I attended in Hinckley (Leics) the next day, with 90+ people - Zooniverse is much more friendly.)

Posted

Yes, a great meet up. The meeting in the pub afterwards is a significant part, since we can talk to face to face. I will post some pictures on Friday.

Posted

• jules by jules

Best zoocon yet I think! Thanks to all the scientists and zoo staff for giving up a Saturday and to everyone who attended. It was so lovely to see you all and meet new people. Big thank you to Grant too for hosting and organising. Till next time! 😄

Posted

• Caro by Caro

I'm a bit late here but I just wanted to say it was great to see all the old faces, and some new ones, at ZooCon. Thank you Els for my solar system bracelet. I wear it every day. ;D

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Caro's comment.

Aah, the bracelet ! Your one way into the secret inner circle ! Oh wait ! 😉

So happy to see you ! Hope there will be many more ZooCon's !

Posted

Did anybody take any publishable photos?

Posted

I have photos, but having trouble with Flickr, and photobucket. Would someone like to host them?

Posted

Report here - http://blog.planetfour.org/2015/08/03/highlights-from-zoocon-2015/?_ga=1.205269331.290362078.1378134015

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Budgieye's comment.

I could give it a go, if you like. Will je mail them to me then? hannyarkelvanATgmail.com 😉

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to Hanny's comment.

Thank you, I have sent them to you. My free Flickr account has about 250 images, and if I post any more, the earliest ones drop off. Photobucket had my password in the image link, so I can't use that.

Posted

• Hanny by Hanny moderator in response to Budgieye's comment.

I just saw them (I was on holiday). I didn't know that about the amount of pictures though... I'm afraid my own account will be too full already too then. Didn't Geoff start a Zoo one somewhere once?

Posted

• jules by jules in response to Hanny's comment.

Yes he did - I PM'd Budgieye the details (did you get it Budgieye?). Free flickr accounts have a terrabyte of data now so that should be plenty of zoo space. 😃

Posted

I didn't see the pm for 4 days, sorry, for some reason it didn't flag at the top of the page. I tried to use Geoff's account, but it asked me a test question on telephone numbers, and I guess I failed and I just get 404 when I try to upload a photo.

Posted

Would anyone like to host the pictures?

Posted

• jules by jules in response to Budgieye's comment.

I could try to upload them to the Zoo account if you like. Flickr was down yesterday but seems OK today.

Posted

• jules by jules in response to jules's comment.

Here they are courtesy of Budgieye:

Zoocon 2015

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123547528@N02/albums/72157657358258602

Posted

Yay! 😃

Posted

thanks Jules and Budgie !

What a great day ! 😄

Posted

Those are great! Thanks!! 😄

Posted

Thanks Christine (& Jules), though I seem to be missing from the audience - probably when I was talking to Becky.

Posted

Happy birthday Els!

Posted

Thanks Geoff ! 😄

Posted