Galaxy Zoo Talk

I don't know or 'Unknown' button

• NIM7 by NIM7

I think there should be a button for those images which you really can no work out, but yet may seem to kind of thing. A button which you can press to skip to the next when you can not work out the phenomenon. If there is enough people clicking 'unknown' on said picture, then should higher 'experts' or knowledgeable personal take a look.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to NIM7's comment.

Hey @NIM7 -- the thing is, we actually want people to take their best guess, even if they're unsure! Part of the engine that drives the Zooniverse is that, as a crowd, people are right more often than they think about these things! We'd much rather people take a wild guess than just punt by saying "I don't know;" it's more helpful to the science. If guesses vary wildly, then we still do know that the image needs to be looked at by an expert.

This blog from Snapshot Serengeti does a great job of explaining why Zooniverse projects almost never have an "I don't know" button.

Hope this helps! 😃

Posted

• NIM7 by NIM7

Ah ok, thank you for the explanation. The 'forum' area also would need of a better user interface, but that just might be a personal preference (Being use to a general layout/form).

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to NIM7's comment.

'Talk' is software that is developed in-house by the Zooniverse - so it will be different to any other forum software you have used 😃

It is currently under re-development, and we should have a new version later this year.

Posted