Galaxy Zoo Talk

Update on the spring 2015 Hubble images

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

A quick update - we're extremely grateful for the progress you've helped us make on the GOODS and CANDELS images of high-redshift galaxies that have been in Galaxy Zoo since March. I'm happy to say that they're on the verge of being done; both sets should be retired within another couple of weeks. We'll continue analyzing the data that you've provided, but we have more images (ones that are both scientifically useful, but a bit more visually appealing and easier to classify) already prepped and on the way.

Thanks!!!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to KWillett's comment.

Ooohhh - sounds exciting! Thanks Kyle 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Capella05's comment.

Second that ! 😄

Posted

• Clinton_Eveleigh by Clinton_Eveleigh

The current crop of images have been fascinating and a privilege to have seen them.

Posted

Less than 1500 objects to go! We've retired more than 11,000 GOODS images and all of the shallower CANDELS images so far.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Woohoo ! Let's go for it ! 😄

If we all do a couple of classifications we're on to the next adventure ! 😄

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

😄

Posted

350 ...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Is the new stuff all ready to go? No downtime?

Posted

Are the images done yet? I seem to get the same ones to classify and I am not able to submit some classifications?

Posted

New images from Sloan should be live now! Sorry if there was any downtime (I was still getting GOODS images up to just now), but it should be 100% the single-band SDSS images for the time being. Please let us know if you spot any issues or have questions!

Blog post: http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2015/05/13/finished-with-hubble-for-now-with-new-images-going-back-to-our-local-universe/

Posted

Thanks Kyle!

Is there any reason when classifying the new images they tend to jump to the inverted image after the page has fully loaded?

Posted

We went back and forth on whether inverted or default was better for viewing these images, and felt (by a slight majority) that inverted was preferable. That depends a lot on both the galaxy and individual preferences, though. I'm encouraging everyone to toggle back and forth a couple times for each galaxy and see which view is clearest for you.

Posted

Notes: if you click through to Examine, it'll tell you what band of SDSS (u, g, r, i, or z) the image is from. Unfortunately, the FITS viewer functionality doesn't seem to be working with these images right now.

Posted

Hi Kyle,

The app still seems to be pointing to the old hubble images. Does Murray need to do a tweak?

Posted

• ramberts by ramberts

I miss Hubble....He's getting old, I hope I'll get to see more images from him again!

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Yes, it takes a while to get used to galaxies that are so "close" to us. 😃

Posted