Galaxy Zoo Talk

We are destroying the earth without realizing it..

• skykru by skykru

It's scary how little people realize how much we are destroying the Earth. After all it is our home shouldn't we treat the Earth better? We are cutting down and burning the only things that let us breath. Just so we can have money and paper or anything that is useless if we can't breath. There are still organizations against believing that global warming is a threat. Is it really that hard to see that we are destroying our only home? We are over drafting animals to extinction. Yet people refuse to acknowledge the fact that we will soon completely destroy the only place that keeps us alive. How are we supposed to help Earth if we don't even realize we are hurting it?

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

I totally agree with you and I wish that more people were as concerned as you are.

Thanks for your fine and compelling post!

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

Actually we arent doing anything to earth that wouldnt take 10,000 yrs of our absence to fix. Earth has been through way worse that anything we could throw at it and has always bounced back. Though I understand the concern of your statement the real truth is that we are killing our selves not the planet.

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

You may be right, but it's little comfort for people living today to know that the earth will bounce back, if it's going to take 10.000 years.

Such a large time span is very difficult to grasp. And maybe that's just as well, orherwise one might start worrying about what will happen in the end, when the earth will be destroyed once and for all by the sun...

Posted

Little comfort to most i suppose but i have no great love nor hope for the human race, we have proven time and time again we are not much more than a blight on the face of this planet. Sure, we have achieved some incredible things, perhaps even worthy of the books we write about ourselves but we are not the first nor the last great species that will evolve on this this planet . The level of our hubris astounds me, thinking this world was made for us. "Fine tuned" someone has recently put forth. So yes I do get a bit of comfort knowing this world will be fine without us and there is an open niche that a more respectful or intelligent species will occupy for a time. "we wield our supposed power like a child who just found his dads gun"
    Also I think its a bit easier to grasp 10,000 as opposed to 1,000,000,000

Posted

• CeciliaB by CeciliaB

Thanks for your hopeful words. Well, to be serious, I certainly agree with you about the state of the world. But one mustn't judge everyone alike. There are many good forces today and, who knows, they may prevail in the end.

For my part, I can't get much comfort at the thought of a new civilization which may take eons to arise. Besides - while I don't want to quench your hopes for the future - it's impossible to know if a new species will be any better than ours. It may not even look like humans.

So, perhaps we should be glad while we can still live in the present world with all its flaws.

Posted

well i was kind of thinking that the animals take it back but i do agree it is all we have and should make the best of that

Posted