Galaxy Zoo Talk

I think if one created a tutorial on how to classify those faint galaxies from Hubble and post it on the site...that would be great. :)

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

I think if one created a tutorial on how to classify those faint galaxies from Hubble and post it on the site...that would be great. 😃

Thanks,

Tom

Posted

• SpectrumSam by SpectrumSam

I might get round to doing that.

Posted

• PDXDave by PDXDave

I may be mistaken, but I think their goal was to create an interface that did not require any tutorial or training.

THe forums contain a lot of topics which on a whole would be educational.

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Creating a tutorial without implying that there's a right answer is a bit challenging unless it says something like "go with your instincts". Just do the best you can and classify what you see -- if it's smooth (or at least looks like it is despite all the background noise), say so, and if you think you see features despite it being faint, click that instead. Don't worry, it's not about right or wrong!

Posted

• PDXDave by PDXDave

I was initially confused about classifying smooth galaxies. I classified a bunch of galaxies with distinct center clusters under "features or discs" and then no bar, no spiral, obvious disc.

It wasn't until I pulled down the "help" tag and saw that the example of a smooth galaxy had a central cluster. Confusing, because one would assume if that galaxy were viewed from the edge, it would have a bulging disc shape.

Posted