Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is there a list of #keywords

• samsalas by samsalas

I've combed the site and found no #list of #keywords and their #meanings. This would be very helpful. I'm sure there has to be one, but I can't find it.

Posted

• Auroness by Auroness

At http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/ which you can get to from the HOME button at the top of the page, you can find a cloud of current keywords down at the bottom of the page. I just clicked on a few of them to see what others are using the tag for to get the "meaning" of it.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

It would be good to have them on a drop down menu.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I'm not fond of the whole hashtag thing but having a drop down list would be limiting !

Posted

• samsalas by samsalas

I too think that a drop down would be limiting, but we had a page of alphabetized commonly used hash-tagged words and abbreviations would be great.

Posted

• Ex103 by Ex103

there is a hashtag list in the 'help' section of the board.

The following were listed. . . I usually think of them more as collected annotations.
    #overlapping
    #merger
    #dustlane
    #tidaltail
    #edgeon
    #AGN
    #quasar
    #voorwerp
    #star
    #artifact
    #satellitetrail
    #toofainttoclassify

Additional ones. . .
    #fhb - same as fainthubbleblob (er at least that is my understanding) - I typically put anything with a high amount of pixelation / low definition under this one.
    #fainthubbleblob

Uh I'm sure there are others I've missed.

Posted

• Jeshyr by Jeshyr

The #poorqualityimage has been added to some of mine by others

Posted

• Jake1234204 by Jake1234204

i dont understand what you`re talking about. Keywords? I thought the point of this site is to learn astronomy, classify galaxies and clusters, and have fun. (PS: Having fun is the last priority. Just kidding!)

Posted

• samsalas by samsalas

Hey Jake the reason I was asking is that some of us beginners do not understand the terms being used. For instance active galactic nucleus (AGN). I had to google it. So I started thinking about how many other terms that I knew nothing of. It's the pseudonyms that can be difficult to understand, but useful and time saving once learned.

The more I know, the better I'll classify. fun! fun! fun! 😃

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

Hmmm - would you like a blog post with a glossary of some of these keywords? Might be able to squeeze that in over Xmas. 😃

Posted

• jibjab by jibjab

That would be great, I suppose people can then just click through on the hashtag to see examples...

Posted

• Lazza66 by Lazza66

Sometimes I find a particularly interesting feature(s) and I want to point it out. Usually I just find the best fit labels under the "Is there anything odd?" category. The only other option is to discuss and add hashtags, which is fiddly and time consuming.

I think it would be better if there was just a list of attributes that you could tag.

Posted

• DavidBlaine by DavidBlaine in response to klmasters's comment.

YES that would be very helpful. Were you able to do that 2 years ago?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to DavidBlaine's comment.

Have you seen this thread?

Not a comprehensive list, but it will be looked at in the next version of talk 😃

Posted

• DavidBlaine by DavidBlaine

That link and the one in "New to Galaxy Zoo? Want Help? Read this!" result in 404 errors, and should probably be corrected. No matter. The list to the left of this thread is perfect. Thanks.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Aaahhh, the link to the 'Talk Tutorial' for Talk V1- I am not too sure where it disappeared too - I never actually got to read it, but it has not existed for along time. This is currently talk v2 or 3?

Have you had a look at the 'How To' threads - could they help you?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to DavidBlaine's comment.

They result in 404 errors? Both of those links work fine for me...

Are they still giving you broken pages when you click?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to DZM's comment.

It is this link that is broken - http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/tutorial - it was posted in in the threads themselves, not the link to the actual threads 😃

Posted