Galaxy Zoo Talk

Image quality

• David_Nicol by David_Nicol

Am I alone in finding the quality of some (by no means all) of the images on the Galaxy Classify section pretty poor, to the point where no detail at all is visible? There is no option to say "unclassifiable", so I have been putting the comment "Image too poor to classify" in the Discussion section - is this appropriate?

See the attached example:
    AGZ0000ycc:
    RA: 53.041227, DEC: -27.754055

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

no you are not alone. It looks like its a run of the Hubble images. they are poor because they are so distant its working on the edge of resolution. It must be a deep space survey or something.Just classify the really bad ones as artifacts if you cannot make them out.you are wasting your time "commenting" each one because it probably wont be read by the techs. Not much else we can do except push on through to better grounds.

Posted

• sunrise1 by sunrise1

I've seen some poor images too lately.. one was completely black...I just put it as artifact and moved on lol

Posted

• MariaK2 by MariaK2

I thought I read somewhere on the Forum to classify those as #fainthubbleblob or #fhb, so I've been doing that.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to wtaskew's comment.

wtaskew
    no you are not alone. It looks like its a run of the Hubble images. they are poor because they are so distant its working on the edge of resolution. It must be a deep space survey or something.Just classify the really bad ones as artifacts if you cannot make them out.you are wasting your time "commenting" each one because it probably wont be read by the techs. Not much else we can do except push on through to better grounds.

Good comment Bill

Posted