Galaxy Zoo Talk

shadow-help for novices

• E_C_Williamson by E_C_Williamson

I've only been doing this for a few weeks but have clocked up 4000+. However, I'm concerned that I'm making a lot of mistakes as I haven't got a lot of experience to draw from, the examples shown on the 'Help' site aren't always pertinent and ... well, how do you differentiate your mergers from your overlaps?! It would be so useful if I could compare my efforts over 200 or so with someone with proper knowledge rather than just hope someone's popped something on the discussion site.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi E C Williamson,
    First of all, thanks for participating in this project and I do hope you're having fun !
    And as for the difference between mergers and overlaps ! There isn't really a right or wrong !
    Actually that is one of the things the scientists are keen to find out. For instance if 20 people say it is an overlap and 20 people say it is a merger , that will only flag this system as special and the scientists will take a very good look at it.
    Remember, we are asked to classify these galaxies on a purely visual basis, without any other information.
    So, just give it your best shot and just have fun with it ! 😃
    Happy hunting !

Posted