Galaxy Zoo Talk

Citizen Science gets noticed -- by the White House

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

To quote from the whitehouse.gov blog:

"To recognize the substantial contributions and achievements of citizen scientists across the Nation, the White House will host a Champions of Change event on Citizen Science on June 4, 2013. The White House Champions of Change program highlights the stories and examples of ordinary citizens who are doing extraordinary things for their communities, their country, and their fellow citizens. This event will focus on individuals or organizations that have demonstrated exemplary leadership in engaging the broader, non-expert community in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) research. Of particular interest are efforts by individuals or organizations to include women, the economically disadvantaged, persons with disabilities, and racial and ethnic minorities underrepresented in STEM.

"Do you know a citizen science leader who is using citizen science to help catalyze positive change in his or her community? Members of the public are invited to nominate candidates for consideration."

I think it's fantastic that the White House is recognizing the importance of citizen science in advancing all science, and acknowledging the extraordinary contributions of citizen scientists, individually and collectively. If you'd like to nominate someone, please do so! The nomination form doesn't seem to explicitly say the person has to be a US citizen/resident (though the location field only gives US states and territories). Nominations must be submitted by April 30th.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This is AWESOME!!!

The nomination form doesn't seem to explicitly say the person has to be a US citizen/resident
    Yes, but I think it's as certain as certain can be that they would not invite any non-citizens (or at least non-residents), or at most a mere token few.

Posted

• icarus777 by icarus777

I really do not want any recognition,. It be a team effort. I like to be in a project that would write the software and or application program and operating system to allow a group in a school or where ever to have multiple views with I/O to expert system that allow multiple user to glove into mind of robot on the International Space Station. They are asking for people to come up with new programs for that robot on the I.S.S. It should be enjoy by a large group of people with controlled guided protocol that does not violate any nation's secret security protocol.

Posted

• icarus777 by icarus777

sorry for spelling, but i agree there are some bugs in the system. i am on windows vista , mozilla foxfire browser with igoogle homepage and it sometimes does different odd bugs, but i did an oops. sorry.

Posted

• icarus777 by icarus777

Sorry if i am in an inappropriate place for this type of forum. I just came on board today. i hope it is smoothing sailing in the future. I will get better the long i use this system. I have some interesting ideas and invention to tinker together.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

"Champions of Change: Citizen Scientists

The White House honors 12 individuals for their dedication to increasing public engagement in science and science literacy."
    (source; date seems to be 25 June, 2013)

The closest any comes to being active in astronomy would seem to be Dolores Hill, "I am honored to be selected a White House Citizen Science Champion of Change to represent Target Asteroids!, a decade long program that expands the role of citizen scientists in cutting edge asteroid research and serves as a model for other scientist-citizen scientist collaborations."

Posted