Galaxy Zoo Talk

Science Hobbyists Needed for a National Study

• ScienceEdNCSU by ScienceEdNCSU

1. Are you an Astronomy hobbyist?
    2. Do you participate in Citizen Science Projects (i.e. Galaxy Zoo)?
    3. Are you in non-STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) career?

If you answered yes to these three questions, we* need your help with a new National Science Foundation sponsored research study that will investigate the characteristics and educational experiences of people who are active in science hobbies. More and more people are engaging in science hobbies; schools and science centers would like to know more about the characteristics of science hobbyists and how these organizations might better support hobbyists’ networking and education.

What will happen if you take part in the study?

We will send you more detailed information about the study, including a consent form for you to review. Participation in this study is voluntary. If you agree to participate in the study, we will set up a time to interview you over the phone. After the interview, you are eligible to receive a $10 Target gift card.

For more information, please contact us at: ced_stemhobby2@ncsu.edu

*The researchers involved in this project are from North Carolina State University. We are not affiliated with the Galaxy Zoo science team.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

More on this in the GZ forum thread I began on this topic ...

Posted

• ScienceEdNCSU by ScienceEdNCSU

Hi Jean,

You asked: "It doesn't say whether they think you'd be OK to join the study if you are retired, have not yet started a career, or otherwise do not currently have a career." Thanks for your question!

We are interested in interviewing people at all stages of their careers, including those who are still in school (must be over 18) or those who are retired or between careers. If someone has a specific question about whether they qualify, he or she should send us an email directly at ced_stemhobby2@ncsu.edu

Thanks!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ScienceEd@NCSU's comment.

ScienceEd@NCState
    Hi Jean,
    You asked: "It doesn't say whether they think you'd be OK to join the study if you are retired, have not yet started a career, or otherwise do not currently have a career." Thanks for your question!
    We are interested in interviewing people at all stages of their careers, including those who are still in school (must be over 18) or those who are retired or between careers. If someone has a specific question about whether they qualify, he or she should send us an email directly at ced_stemhobby2@ncsu.edu
    Thanks!

Thanks for replying! That was the answer I was hoping for. Cool! 😃

Posted

• Tonibee by Tonibee

I fit the bill and I'm happy to take part, but I'm in the UK - you can give my $10 gift card to charity, it will be worthless here - they don't call us 'rip-off Britain' for nothing! 😃

I've sent you an email.

Posted