Galaxy Zoo Talk

Understanding classifications

• Tonibee by Tonibee

Hi, I'm new to this and have a couple of questions I can't answer.

I wondering why it is that the question "Is there anything odd?" doesn't always appear? I can't discern a pattern in when it does. I often find I want to report dustlanes or disturbance but the option can't be found because it's in the 'anything odd' menu.

It troubles me that there are so many that are 'unclassifiable' blobs of pixels and they could end up mis-classified. Why not filter out imgaes containing fewer than X pixels and mark them to be photographed again as imaging technology improves.

Finally, is there any guidance about how to determine the level of detail required to justify discussing or hashtagging an image? E.g pixelated blobs that may or may not be merging galaxies.

Thanks,

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi Tonibee,
    There are in fact two, slightly different, sets of questions. One for the SDSS images (this one includes the 'Odd' question) and one for the Hubble images (with the 'clumpy' questions).
    If you want to flag something odd for a Hubble pic, you can always post it here.

As for the fuzzy blobs, a number of them have already been removed. So just give it your best shot.

And there is no rule about who can discuss or hashtag something.
    If you have a question or want to flag something, just go for it.

Hope this helps and Happy hunting !

Posted

• Tonibee by Tonibee

Thank you very much. Great answer - helps a lot.

Posted