Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is there a Guide to Code? That which works in the new Talk?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The Upgraded Talk has a "Code" button. Which, if you click it, enables you to enter code.

What is "code"? Some flavor of HTML? How can you learn about code?

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Hi Jean,

I haven't tried it myself, but on forums the Code button/tag usually allows you to enter tags and code that the post would normally interpret without having it interpreted.

For instance, _this_ should not be italicised because it's in a code tag.

(Unlike "without" above.)

Hope that helps!

-Brooke

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks Brooke.

Hope that helps!

Hmm, no, not really.

For example, I can now produce sub- and super-scripts (e.g. E=mc2, water is H2O), but that's because I have some familiarity with the "greater than/less than" variant of HTML. But:

1. I have to type the HTML tags manually (no shortcut button as in
      the GZ forum), and
    2. I have no idea what the full list of such codes/tags is, nor where to go to find out.

It's not that I can't find such lists - far from it! - but I have learned that which particular tags are implemented is site-dependent ... what does the Upgraded Zoonivere Talk use? This particular, GZ, variant of Zooniverse Talk?

Posted

Ah, we're talking about two different things. I was talking about what the code button does. You were talking about actual code!

Does this help instead?

Formatting in Posts - HTML Tags, Smileys, Preview etc.

As for a list of all the HTML tags the new Talk supports, well, I'm not sure myself... if it's not listed in my post I'd say just try something out and use the preview function to see if it works!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to vrooje's comment.

Thanks!

Yes, that's a good start.

I'm going to try one other thing, which I know, from experience, doesn't work on all sites (the Comments part of the Zooinverse's blogs, for instance, which all build on WP):

Have you found any HUDS with 0.45 < z < 0.6? I've found one with 17.0 > mi > 18.5.

Fair enough. But if I define A as (NACW-NCW)/(NACW+NCW) ... Oops! That isn't right, because A is really defined for a single object, and what I was describing was some kind of mean. Now I don't know how to write the special symbol I need here, so I'll just use < and >: = ...

Sure the text was rather odd, but not so contrived as to be completely ridiculous. And look what happened!

To stop this, I think I need to write . Yes? Yes. My <A> was interpreted as an HTML tag; to avoid that happening, I need to use the code button ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to vrooje's comment.

Hmm, another bug? I just clicked on the "Edit" link, and nothing happened!

(I was going to add that I needed to add </A> to ensure the nice cyan text turned back to black.)

Posted

I noticed that, too -- if you refresh the page you'll be able to edit.

Posted

• Badger22 by Badger22

I AGREE!

Posted