Galaxy Zoo Talk

Quizzes are still on?

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

I remember almost a year ago, when I first started galaxy zoo, (more like 9 months ago actually,) that I took quizzes more than daily, and that I could take them all that I wanted. I haven't been able to do that for a while for some reason, why? Is there a specific way to take a quiz, or do you have to wait for it to reset the timer? It's been so long- and I'd like some help taking quizzes.

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

The quizzes were part of a study some people were doing on how much astronomical knowledge Galaxy Zoo volunteers have. That study is now finished (and being prepared for publication) so the quizzes have stopped. It's interesting to hear that you liked them though....

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

I'f you have specific questions from the quizzes this would be the place to ask them of course....

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

On the classification page in the Profile there is still the option "Take a Quiz" available and there are questions displayed.
    Is the quiz study really finished? Do you no longer collect the answers?

KWillett did following post in another topic some days ago.:

Yep - the paper on our first results for the project will be published in December 2013 (a preprint is available now). Our goal is to do some real research on whether the amount of participation in Zooniverse projects increases understanding of the scientific concepts involved. As discussed in the paper, though, the first set of results weren't conclusive, in large part because there weren't many users who completed the entire quiz.
    We're currently gathering data from a modified set of quizzes, which started in September 2012. The results from these are still being collected and analyzed, though, and share some of the same content as the old version. As a result, we don't want to publish a list of answers yet; this would make it really difficult for us to establish whether learning is coming from participation, rather than having answers readily available.
    If you're curious about particular questions after you've answered them, please do discuss them with other Zooniverse participants and scientists, as well as checking the massive amount of information available on the web (NASA, Wikipedia, etc). Since the research is still ongoing, though, we can't publish a list of the answers yet. So please, no flea eggs.

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000003/discussions/DGZ100697h?page=2&comment_id=526941c672c109042f000155

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Sorry, in my profile page I do not have this option. I have taken 6 quizzes which seemed to be the maximum) . and if you read karen's answer, it seems that this study is finished.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

Wow! lots of replies! 😮 about your post, klmasters, is there a way to view certain quizzes you took, or some of the questions asked? And about your post elizabeth, I've taken 6 quizzes, too. It would appear that there is/was a limit to the amount you can take.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to ElisabethB's comment.

As far as I understood, the comment by KWillett, which he had done just some days ago, means, that the study continues. So I was astonished, that klmasters wrote, that it is finished. Do I miss something? When did they stop to collect the answers?

Posted

• Notes by Notes

The quizzes make a useful training tool. New GZ users should be required to do these before being let loose on the 'real' images. It would give them a good grounding in what to expect, what are artifacts etc.

Posted