Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is it possible?

• Bloody_Angel by Bloody_Angel translator

When classifying, is it possible to see both UKIDSS and SDSS images in the same time? I find that quite often the SDSS images provide much more detail and sometimes after classifying a galaxy, I go to SkyServer and see that the galaxy has a ring instead of spiral arms for example and can't go back and change the classification..

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Bloody_Angel's comment.

Hello and welcome,

Sorry it is not possible, there is a reason why you are classifying the infrared image without having access to the optical images on SkyServer.

It is a blind study, so we want your interpretation of the infrared image, not the optical image.

Happy Hunting!
    Capella

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

And in this thread : http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000001/discussions/DGZ0000bkm, you can find some more discussions about this.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

From the link that Els posted:

@KWillett - Scientist

We encourage you to follow up on the images after classification, absolutely. However, having users do so BEFORE the "Done"
    button is push will bias the classification. The ultimate goal is to explore the astronomical and physical properties of these galaxies.
    However, if we changed the interface so that you were comparing optical and UV images, that would add additional information, and
    make impossible to reliably compare data before and after.

Posted

• Bloody_Angel by Bloody_Angel translator in response to Capella05's comment.

Hi, thanks for replying..makes more sense now.. Although, would you mind telling me what's the reason? I'm even more curious now 😃
    As a newcomer, I dove right in, I found out a couple of days ago that it's possible to see the images on SkyServer as well haha

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

In Galaxy Zoo we are looking for independent visual classifications.

So, having the UKIDSS images (infrared) we will have a very interesting comparison between the optical and the infrared images. That way, the scientists will have a way to see how the classifications differ between these two surveys.

Posted

• Bloody_Angel by Bloody_Angel translator

Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation 😃

Posted