Galaxy Zoo Talk

Talk takes forever to load?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

... when I click on the main page http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/ , or refresh it. Not only in GZ Talk, but also in RGZ (and other Zooniverse projects too?) Sometimes clicking on Discussion boards ( http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards ) brings up a non-blank screen faster, sometimes not.

Seems to happen pretty randomly - time of day, day of week, length of time since my last visit (but never just after I've been active for a while, or during a period of activity), etc.

Is this happening to others too?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Yep, happens to me every other day so to speak ! . Don't know what causes it. And since I'm active on quite a number of Zoo projects, it can be pretty annoying ! There can be days without a glitch and days when it takes up to 20 refreshes to get me on the right page !

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Thanks Els!

In one respect, I'm happy to read this (now I know it's not just me, or my computer); on the other, not so much (it is surely causing zooites to be even less motivated to engage in Talk discussions, making GZ even less of a community of citizen scientists).

I too have found this seems to affect many Zooniverse projects' Talks (but not Planet Hunters, perhaps because they are still using the v1 Talk?).

Do you find repeatedly refreshing brings up the page faster? My patience usually runs out after ~3 tries. And here's something strange I've noticed a few times (not all that common): I can go away - work on a different browser or window, do non-internet stuff, go get lunch, etc - and find, when I come back, the Talk page has loaded! Does that happen to you too?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Refreshing the page does help (sometimes ! ๐Ÿ˜„ ) And, yes, sometimes the page loads all by itself. All in all it happens more on my work computer, not so much on my home lappy. Maybe it is just a way of the universe telling me not to go zooing on work time ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness translator, admin

Hey all,

I've been trying to track down this bug for awhile now, as it's been reported by a couple of other mods as well. Not sure what is causing it. If everyone could post the following details when they run into the bug, it would help me track down the source of the problem:

• What browser you were using
    • What project you were on
    • Any details in your browser console good overview here

Thanks all, and real sorry for the trouble =(

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to bumishness's comment.

Having seen this post by bumishness yesterday, I was all set to report the gory details of cross-the-board delays this morning, but ...

While I had not been paying particular attention, I had the impression that I got delays, on all Talk v2s (but not on any Talk v1s), after I turned my laptop on (I have recently gotten into the habit of turning it off completely, every evening, and re-starting every morning). So I was all set to record the many delays today ...

... but everything loaded quickly! I even tested AP (an 'on ice' project, which uses Talk v1) and SW (also 'on ice', but v2), in addition to PH (also v1, but active), RGZ, GZ, and Quench (all v2s).

As far as I can tell, everything loaded equally fast.

May have something to do with the fact that I use Firefox for all my active Zooniverse work, and there was a (major?) Firefox update/upgrade last night?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Today was much more like what I remember: GZ Talk took forever, Quench Talk loaded straight away, RGZ took a long time. M83 - a retired project - came up immediately, but SW still hasn't loaded, after many refreshes and ~2 hours. As usual, PH (a v1 Talk) was 'instant', as was AP Talk (also a v1, but a retired project).

Same protocol as yesterday: only Firefox, laptop (running Win7) off overnight. Time to learn about Firefox's browser console, ready for tomorrow ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Much the same as yesterday, only today I have the Firefox console AND Firebug! I opened both for GZ Talk, but didn't see anything in the first ... perhaps because I don't know what to look for? Firebug Console has a LOT of red in one place (the window is huge! but most of it seems unremarkable).

The 'lots of red' starts under the line "GET https://api.zooniverse.org/projects/galaxy_zoo/talk/users/active" (that line ends with "api-66...baee.js (line 16)"). Here is the first 'red line':

"NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://zooniverse-avatars.s3.amazonaws.com/ouroboros/1593266"

There are 20 such lines, at least in the top part of the Firebug Console window (I didn't try to scroll down very far), each with a different number, mostly 7-digits.

Worth using Firebug tomorrow, on Talks which don't load? Or is the above more than enough?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

All the v2 Talks I tried this morning - M83, SW, GZ, Quench, RGZ - loaded quickly.

RGZ wasn't so fast that I didn't have time to fire up Firebug, and there were (are) 'lots of red' like yesterday, but this time they appeared under "GET https://api.zooniverse.org/projects/radio/talk/recents 304 Not Modified 2s" (the 7-digit numbers are different, as I expected; interestingly there seem to be relatively more 5- and 6-digit numbers than appeared in the GZ Firebug report yesterday).

Here's a - possibly - disturbing line that appeared twice (and twice yesterday too)*:

Password fields present on an insecure (http://) page. This is a security risk that allows user login credentials to be stolen.

There's blue text (which is a link) at the far right, beginning "appli" and ending "(line 1)"; I'm not going to copy that.

Have my reports been helpful, to anyone? Has any other zooite tried to debug, as bumishness requested?

Feedback please! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

*at least in the top part of the Console; I didn't scroll down too far

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to JeanTate's comment.

hey,

i was emailing him data from my web console last days. and few minutes ago i got this response:

*"It's definitely this line from your previous email that's causing the trouble:

GET https://api.zooniverse.org/projects/plankton/talk/recents [HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway 11946ms]

Basically, the server is timing out trying to collect all the different data that appears when you first visit Talk. Refreshing sometimes works because eventually the server caches the response and then sends you the data immediately.
    I'm hoping to have a fix live in the next day or two. I know this is frustrating!"*

ysh_

Posted

All,

We just pushed an update that addresses this problem. Let me know if you experience any more issues!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Didn't check many v2 Talks this morning, but two produced the same error (the other was 'radio', and the time 11.7s):

GET https://api.zooinverse.org/projects/galaxy_zoo/talk/recents 502 Bad Gateway 11.81s

Posted

"502 Bad Gateway" on GZ, RGZ, SW, and Quench this morning (I didn't try any other projects). Left it for ~1.5 hours, then tried again. Same result.

So how am I able to post this? The "Discussion boards" link loaded without too much delay ...

ETA: "Discussion boards" loaded fairly quickly in the other three too.

Posted

yshish mentioned it still loads slowly/not at all for her as well.

We'll keep trying to fix this. Sorry for the trouble all.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

"502 Bad Gateway" on only GZ and SW this morning (RGZ and Quench loaded quickly). Left it for ~1 hour, then tried again. SW loaded, but GZ didn't. Kept refreshing, and finally succeeded.

Are these daily reports of mine of value to you, bumishness?

Posted

• yshish by yshish

as for me, it's much better after the last update. it hasn't loaded just few times during the last 4 days.

the data from my firefox webconsole (Ubuntu):
    (the same for the Plankton Portal and for the Condor Watch)

Use of getUserData() or setUserData() is deprecated. Use WeakMap or element.dataset instead. requestNotifier.js:64

Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. application-2014-05-06_14-30-54.js:1

Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. api-6673db0a5db29dc6b2141251c5d1baee.js:15

Password fields present on an insecure (http://) page. This is a security risk that allows user login credentials to be stolen.[Learn More]

GET https://api.zooniverse.org/talk/messages/count [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 190ms]

GET https://api.zooniverse.org/talk/messages/count [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 358ms]

GET https://api.zooniverse.org/talk/messages/count [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 181ms]

GET https://api.zooniverse.org/talk/messages/count [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 334ms]

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

GZ, RGZ, SW, and Quench Talk all loaded quickly for me this morning.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

web console for the plankton portal now:

GET https://api.zooniverse.org/projects/plankton/talk/recents [HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway 10510ms]

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Yesterday (Sunday 18 May), GZ, RGZ, Quench, and SW all loaded reasonably quickly. However, an hour or so later, GZ didn't (502 Bad Gateway). A few refreshes later, it did (load).

Today, only RGZ loaded quickly the first time, GZ, Quench, and SW all said '502 Bad Gateway'. An hour or so later, GZ still gave '502 Bad Gateway', and then it loaded normally on the next refresh.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Same mixed bag this morning: RGZ, M83, and Quench all OK; SW and GZ (twice) slow (both '502'). A reboot later, and only GZ said '502 Bad Gateway' (once).

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Just got back on-line after 3 weeks.

This issue is still occurring for me. Windows 8.1 : Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m

Unlikely to be OS or browser.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Capella05's comment.

bumishness has a post, on page 1, with some advice on how to help track this down.

Although he seems to have edited it - to remove any reference to Firebug - if you use Firefox you can instal Firebug. And when you use Firebug, you'll see (most likely) that the cause is "502 Bad Gateway". Bumishness gave an explanation - somewhere on page 2 I think.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

I work in IT, particularly in testing / analysing web applications, there are better free analytical tools out there ๐Ÿ˜‰ Also you need to take different browsers / devices into account. It is not as simple as running the developer console in a single browser.

The issue mainly seems to occur on the home page and the 'Recent' tab of Talk. I never have a problem opening the 'Discussion' tab, even if the others aren't loading. 3rd party plugin?

Posted

Cool! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Upthread there are posts by yshish, on her experiences with a v2 Talk (more than one?) being 'slow to load'. Although I do not work in IT, I found it interesting that she reported the same "502 Bad Gateway" message as I was getting, presumably from Firebug.

Whatever the Development Team has been doing, I've been getting considerably fewer instances of 'slow to load' lately (but still some). As no one has commented further, I too have stopped monitoring this.

As an IT person, when you visit Galaxy Zoo GitHub, can you understand what's there? Mostly I can't, but I hope that one day I will be able to ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

I actually do ๐Ÿ˜ƒ In my former life I was a developer (for the emergency services, back in SA) . Much prefer the analytical side of things.

Posted

Cool! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I suspect that there may be quite a few zooites who could also make sense of what's there. Another opportunity for building a stronger community? If a usable forum - v3 Talk say - is built, maybe there could be a corner in it where Zooniverse developers and interested zooites could hang out?

It'd be nice if the GZ forum had had such an opportunity, but I guess it's too late now.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

it's 12 a.m and 502 Bad Gateway came back again. as usual at this time:] doesn't matter what browser or OS or computer i use. it's so annoying!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to yshish's comment.

enter image description here

Ditto.

Posted

A close up of the error msgs:
    enter image description here

Posted

All the bad links are:

http://zooniverse-avatars.s3.amazonaws.com/ouroboros/...

So it is our avatars that are causing the problem.

Edited to add: if you look at my first screenshot, you will notice that my avatar failed to load in the top right, along with the error msg's, I think you have somewhere to start debugging ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to Capella05's comment.

where in the top right should be the avatar loaded? i don't understand why it should be caused by the avatars.

Posted

Your avatar (your profile picture) is usually displayed in the top right corner, on the right of the 'return to classifying' button.

It looks like the page is waiting for the avatar image to be loaded - hence the 'white-outs' ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

*edited to add (for clarification) : it looks like the code is waiting for the image to be loaded, If it fails, there does not seem to be a fall back position, and the page does not continue to load. Interesting that you have also noticed that it seems to happen at certain times...

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Capella05's comment.

But the behaviour seems to differ (slightly) on different pages.

Posted

Several v2 Talks have been slow to load for me too (GZ, RGZ, SW), these last couple of days (including today). I haven't initiated Firebug, but will do so next time.

So it is our avatars that are causing the problem.

I did not see that behavior before, but will keep an eye out for it this time; it may be that there is a different cause (or combo of causes) this time ...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to yshish's comment.

I've noticed it does seem to be worse - more frequent - at a particular time of day (or in an interval of time); however, I'm not sure it's the same time ... you wrote "it's 12 a.m" and the timestamp on your post is "June 7 2014 6:08 AM"; that's sorta around the right time of day, but I'll pay closer attention next time, to confirm (or otherwise) ...

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to Capella05's comment.

hm, but there's never my avatar in the top right corner on the talk page, even when the page loads (i can say from all my screenshots). i'm used to see the avatar only on the main page like here: http://www.planktonportal.org/ or when classifying.

it appears mostly from the noon (central european time) to 2 p.m., but sometimes even later in the afternoon, but i can't say exactly, because i usually take a nap during that time:]

edit: i have the bad gateway problems on the Plankton Portal and the Condor Watch, but sometimes the CW works while there's the bad gateway on the PP.

Posted

I think the problem is embedded within all the Zooniverse talk versions, I know the issue does happen on SpaceWarps.

If no ZooDevs reply in this discussion, I will follow up.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

it's 12 o'ckock and the bad gate is back:]

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

yshish was, and is, right.

Right on cue: ~noon CET, all four* v2 Talks say "502 Bad Gateway", for GET https://api.zooniverse.org/projects/galaxy_zoo/talk/recents (that's the GZ one, as an example). Nothing to do with avatars (at least for me, this time).

Looks like this is the time coaches turn into pumpkins, horses to mice, and all good zooites should be out walking the dog, eating lunch, or otherwise staying well away from v2 Talks! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

*SW, GZ, Quench, and RGZ

Posted

• yshish by yshish

(haha, did we post it at the same time?๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Pretty much ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pumpkin time again! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜„

OK, half an hour late, and only GZ and RGZ have "502 Bad Gateway" (Quench and SW load OK). How is it over a PP and CW?

Posted

sorry, i was at work, but it seems to be working now. i'll check it on wednesday + thursday noon.

Posted

And again ... SW, GZ, and RGZ Talk have "502 Bad Gateway". Quench and DD (Disk Detective) loaded OK.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

i wasn't able to try at 12 p.m, but now (30 min later) the PP tak is not loading, neither GZ, but CW is ok.

edit: after few attempts of reloading, the PP talk loaded! but just once and hasn't been loading since that moment.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

i think we can safely say, that 12:00 (CET) is the time when the bad gateway appears. it (the PP talk page) was loading just before 12!

edit: now we could try to find out, what time the bad gateway disappears..

Posted

• yshish by yshish

for today the appearing of 502 Bad Gateway took 1 hour (GZ and PP talk pages), tested on Firefox and Chromium (Ubuntu), then the both started loading (from 12 to 1 p.m. CET)

then, 5 minutes after 1 p.m., the 502 BG appeared again (only the GZ talk p.) few times. for the next few minutes both pages seemed to be working, but sometimes it took longer time to load.

edit: the 502 BG came back to the GZ at 13:20, and lasted untill 14:30. so the problems with loading took a total of 2,5 hours for today.

Posted

I didn't get a chance to check until 14:00 (CET) today; GZ -> "502 Bad Gateway" ... two hours' later! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Posted

For me it happens on the hour, not necessarily at a particular hour.

If I clear my cache, I can usually get on within a couple of minutes.

Posted

I think the ZooDevs have enough data for the time being ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

In IT testing, there is a very thin line between analysing a problem; or drawing your own conclusions based on incomplete data.

Let us give them a chance to take it from here ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I couldn't get on to Recent at 10:05pm GST (21:00 GMT) last night. The other categories worked though.

I too have noticed that there is a problem getting Recent just after the hour.

Firefox, Windows 7

Posted

Happened again just after 8am. (07:00 GMT). Turned the computer off and on again. That didn't help. Now I have cleared my cache to see if that helps. After clearingit , Recent did load up OK.

Posted

Hey Budgie - noticed that one as well.

The white outs have been particulary bad over the past 24 hrs...

Posted

If I clear my cache, I can usually get on within a couple of minutes.

Question out of sheer ignorance: if the recents' 'Bad Gateway' is a server-side problem, why would clearing your cache make any difference? Also, if one gets a recents 'Bad Gateway', will the main page load quickly if you try accessing it using a different browser, one that is 'clean' and that you've just opened?

Posted

It seems to me that clearing a cache would make things worse, but I'm not a computer person. At 6:03am GST (05:00 GMT) loading of Recent was slow. The categories would appear across the top, but the screen was white. So I was hitting the refresh button again and again. I don't think that helps but it makes me feel that I am doing something.

Posted

Unable to open Recent 11:00-11:14 GST (10:00-10:14 GMT) Firefox Windows 7
    I tried to sneak up on it by opening a new tab from GZ classification, "Do you want to discuss this object" but it still didn't work. At the bottom I get a brief message "waiting for talk.galaxyzoo....

Switched to laptop with Google Chrome and Windows Vista. Recent still will not open.

Posted

43 minutes later and I am still trying

Posted

Question out of sheer ignorance: if the recents' 'Bad Gateway' is a server-side problem, why would clearing your cache make any difference? Also, if one
    gets a recents 'Bad Gateway', will the main page load quickly if you try accessing it using a different browser, one that is 'clean' and that you've just opened?

It all depends on how the call is getting generated. Some are dynamic and others are static, if they are dynamically generated, then it is possible for a 'bad' request to get cached. Instead of refreshing the request each time you visit the site, it uses the dodgy cached version.

I do not have access to the code, so all I can go on is what I am seeing.

Posted

Thanks! So it'd be worth trying to access the page with a different browser, one that had not been used to access the site before, and was 'clean' (after making sure that 'slow to load' was happening, using your usual browser). Might try that later today ...

Posted

hm, i tested it on more browsers from different computers. i had also asked people out of the zooniverse projects to try the link to the recent and they told me it doesn't load.

Posted

Recent loaded last night and is loading now. Monday morning 6:02am GST or 05:02GMT

EDIT: three hours later, and is still loading quickly.

Posted

Yesterday - 16 June - at a little after noon (CET) I tried this too (different browsers, someone else's computer, who had never looked at any Zooniverse project before), and got the same result. Doesn't seem to have had anything to do with local caches or browsers.

@Budgieye it's an anti-Cinderella thing, only happens - apparently - at midday CET (or 6am in New York, or 11:00 in the UK). OK, I guess if you live in Hawaii it's a Cinderella thing ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

I will try that.
    06:00 GMT 07:00 GST 6am CET Recent loads OK

8am GST OK.
    EDIT

Posted

• yshish by yshish

(i don't want to flood this thread, but it's literally every day at the same time, when the bad gateway appears.)

Posted

We are all going round in circles now - I am locking this thread until the developers get back to us with something definitive.

We can all see what is most likely causing the issue - lets us give them a chance to fix it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ If they need more information, it is easy enough for them to post a request in the thread ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Hi everyone!

We have made some improvements to the 'Recents' page and hopefully it should load faster ๐Ÿ˜„

If you do notice the white screen again, please let us know!

Thank you,

GZ Talk Team.

Posted

• GeoffRoynon by GeoffRoynon

The 'Recents' page is working fine for me now - if I click on reload it only takes a couple of seconds to refresh the page.
    If anyone is still having problems they should post details of the browser they are using and operating system to help the tech people.

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

It seems to be working much better now thanks to everyone working on It. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s in response to elizabeth's comment.

well I should know better never say things are well Just enjoy in silence. it is not working well again I an afraid . hmm

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist in response to elizabeth's comment.

It's working for me (after a few seconds' pause) but I'd be very interested to hear how anyone else did who was trying to access Talk at the midday hour when this is known to have an issue!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

About "the midday hour" (or pumpkin time, as I call it): when Talk was taking forever to load before, it started at 11am (UK), noon (Central Europe), 6am (eastern US/NYC), ... that's summer time too. And 'slow to load' used to take anywhere from a half hour to perhaps even two hours (it was certainly variable) before it got back to normal.

I seem to remember ElisabethB reporting it was sometimes slow for her to load at a different time(s) too, but I don't think she actually said when.

Also, Talk used to load just fine, right up the very last second before 'pumpkin time'. So the best time to test whether things are better is perhaps 11:01 to ~11:30 (UK time).

Posted

Pumpkin time for me seems to be when I get off work around 1:oo am Pacific time when almost no one else is on. the site.

Posted

I find it is on the hour, every hour (and yes, I am on that much ๐Ÿ˜ƒ )

The effects are more noticeable at midday (GMT+1), but there has been a vast improvement!

Thank you Michael ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Okay- it is now almost 15mins since I have been able to access the recents tab...

Looking at the dev console - does

nginx.

mean anything? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

now going on 23 minutes...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

13 minutes' past pumpkin: Firebug says "GET [...] /recents 502 Bad Gateway 30.31s" (and the same in RGZ, 31.62s). Quench Talk is OK (it has been all but inactive for many days, perhaps one post a day, tops).

In all three, "GET [...] /messages/count" is still the spinning wheel.

Also this appears four times in GZT, but nonce in RGZT. In Quench Talk there are nine messages like that, with nine different integer strings at the end, none of which are 1748093:

NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://zooniverse-avatars.s3.amazonaws.com/ouroboros/1748093

I didn't check any other Zooniverse v2 Talk.

Posted

Access has been restored - precisely 30 minutes later...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

25 minutes' past pumpkin:

• RGZT recents are now up (18.66s)
    • GZT is still Bad Gateway (30.96s)
    • /messages/count is still a spinning wheel
    • RGZT has 12 NetworkError, all different
    • GZT has three NetworkError, the same (but not 1748093)

Posted

Oh! Finally back my gosh ...................no no don't post that. So I will post it is back instead ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Started again - just past the hour...

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

8:46 Big Apple time: "502 Bad Gateway 31.29s", on recents.

Spinning wheel on messages/count. I guess this is why I never see anything other than a grey envelope?

Posted

• yshish by yshish

hey everybody.

26th of june we have started measuring of the response time for GZ (and 2 other projects), you can compare how it has changed here: http://ziman.functor.sk/zoo/ (details at the bottom of the page)

zuza

Posted

Michael is monitoring the time outs - if he need more info from us, he can unlock the thread and request it.

Thanks!

Posted