Galaxy Zoo Talk

Google Chrome, Java, and Blue Screen

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I have had a lot of trouble with my computer lately, slow, screen freeze, NVIDIA error message, and now Blue Screen. It seems that Google Chrome disables the use of Java. My Windows7 computer has Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer. Chrome seems to interfere with Java and Firefox, and I have been having lots of NVIDIA error messages, and now the the Blue Screen, BSOD. I don't use Internet Explorer. I don't know much about these things, but appears that you have to choose one system and optimize for it?

NPAPI support by Chrome http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

We have detected you are using Google Chrome and might be unable to use the Java plugin from this browser. Starting with Version 42 (released April 2015), Chrome has disabled the standard way in which browsers support plugins

http://www.java.com/en/download/chrome.jsp

I have deleted Google Chrome from the Windows 7 64 bit computer, and will report back.

I will continue to use Chrome on the Windows Vista 32 bit laptop, which is supposed to be good for viewing Galaxy Zoo.

EDIT: After uninstalling Chrome, Windows 7 computer is now working well! No more NVIDIA error messages, no more blue screen and it seems to be faster.

I hope it stays that way, I'll report again in a week ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

EDIT: one day on from deleting Chrome, and the Windows 7 computer is working better than it has for 2 years, , no error messages, no trouble with images or videos. Apparently an instant fix.

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Glad your computer is running faster and smoother!

I think Chrome is pretty good for viewing GZ, but GZ doesn't use Java, so that wouldn't have been an issue there. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Yes, but many other sites use Java, and Chrome appears to be interfering with them. So won't people stop using Chrome?

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I've never had the error you described... maybe others have though.

Posted

Oh dear, the blue screen has started again. Looks like I will have to learn to configure the computer.

Posted

Opening up the computer and vacuuming the graphics card seems to have stopped the Blue Screen. I'll try putting Chrome back on.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Good luck ! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted