Galaxy Zoo Talk

Illustris: GZ Examine's "View raw data in different wavelengths" button doesn't work?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

AGZ00089qu is the one I tried it in first, but in the several I looked at subsequently this button also does not seem to work.

Bug? Feature? Something else??

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

This button only works with specific surveys - I very much doubt it was ever intended to be used with the Illustris simulated galaxies.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Capella05's comment.

Hmm ... according to what I've read on Illustis, so far (lots more still to read), the inputs to GZ Examine are essentially identical to SDSS's: the Illustris 'camera' is 'equipped' with five filters whose response curves closely match those of SDSS's ugriz ones. For example (source):

The unattenuated rays travel until they exit the grid or enter one of four viewing apertures (\cameras"). The output of this step is the SED at each of 512X512 pixels in each camera. From these data cubes, Sunrise creates raw mock images by integrating the (optionally redshifted) SED in each pixel over a set of common astronomical filters, from the UV through IR.

So perhaps getting this button to work is 'just' a matter of linking existing data sets (in the form of FITS files)?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to JeanTate's comment.

I will admit It would be an awesome feature to have, but it not necessary in order to classify the images.

It would also take a dev resource to modify the examine page to implement it - I guess the time and effort required to make the change outstripped the science that could be achieved by having it. Perhaps that will change in future - but will not count on it being 'fixed' for this iteration of the project.

Just my personal opinion BTW.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

The Examine tool is something I'm super proud we have, but it's a specialized piece of code and written entirely by one of our developers who's no longer with the Zooniverse. I'm trying to either see if I can adapt it myself (I'm not an expert at the language it's written in) or get another developer to do so, but it's lower down on their priority list right now.

I'll advocate as much as I can to get it up and running (I know how much it adds to understanding and discussion of images), but it won't work for either DECaLS or Illustris at the moment.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to KWillett's comment.

but it's a specialized piece of code and written entirely by one of our developers who's no longer with the Zooniverse

Oh, I didn't know that. I was under the impression that the Zooniverse had a quasi-open approach to things like this.

I'm trying to either see if I can adapt it myself (I'm not an expert at the language it's written in) or get another developer to do so, but it's lower down on their priority list right now.

Suggestion: are there ordinary zooites who have expertise in the language (which is)? Is there a chance some zooites could contribute more than just clicks, by volunteering their time to modify the code (in an entirely open source way)?

I'll advocate as much as I can to get it up and running (I know how much it adds to understanding and discussion of images), but it won't work for either DECaLS or Illustris at the moment.

Cool! 😃 That would make it much easier for us ordinary zooites to do the kind of analysis you did in the purple/blue shadow thread, for example. Other than by using the View raw data in different wavelengths button, is there a way to obtain the Illustris inputs to a particular Examine image, as separate image files (one for each band) for example?

Posted