Galaxy Zoo Talk

Number of spiral arms???

• ragnartrains by ragnartrains

How come the option "can't say" has disappeared from Classify regarding the number of spiral arms??? Often you can tell that you see a spiral but due to low resolution you can't give the number of arms. As it now is you have to guess to move forward...!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to ragnartrains's comment.

It was intentional that the 'can't tell' option was removed, the Scientists will be able to learn more from a guess than if everyone selected the opt out option ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Benescu by Benescu in response to Capella05's comment.

Agree with you. Yet, sometimes, that option is available. Yet again, if I see that option available and I select it (or not), as sometimes I'm not sure about how to classify something and I "restart", that option is ( or sometimes is not) available again. I can see it available once every 20-30 spiral galaxy. Is it random or has something to do with the image that we see?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

All depends on what survey you are classfying (e.g DECaLS, SDSS, UKIDSS etc.) - different surveys have different research goals, so the questions get changed accordingly!

The restart option should always be available, I can't say I have noticed it disappearing. What browser are you using? or are you using the mobile app?

Posted

• Benescu by Benescu in response to Capella05's comment.

Didn't new that there is an app as well. Can I get more info about app so I can have it on my phone also? ๐Ÿ˜„

About restart, I wasn't talking about the restart button that disappear, but about the "can't tell" option available while classifying the arms of a galaxy (1, 2, ... can't tell). If I created some confusion, please excuse me, english is not my main language.

As about the browser, I'm a big fan of Mozilla Firefox, which I currently use. If you suggest using Chrome for a better experience, I will give it a try.

P.S.: Please provide more info about the App. Thank you.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Benescu's comment.

No Problem!

You can find all the information regarding the App in this thread. I think the latest version of the Android app got released a few weeks ago, and is available for download on Google Play.

I use both Firefox and Chrome - both are pretty good!

Posted