Galaxy Zoo Talk

Anyone who has posted Photobucket images, please update

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

The Photobucket images are blank and have the message "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"

enter image description here

Example in #2 How do I: A Talk Tutorial https://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000005/discussions/DGZ0000utn

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Hi Budgie,

Photobucket now charge $400 (USD) per year to host images posted on forums, blogs etc... I don't think it is fair to expect people to pay that fee just to re-enable images on this site (myself included).

The photobucket software is also proving awkward for those that want to download their images to move them to a different hosting site. A simple online search would show this.

Posted

Oooh, that is expensive! Maybe Zooniverse should host photos.

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I think I remember some conversations about that at Zoo HQ and it turned out to be (a) a pretty big task and (b) a bit of a minefield regarding various legal issues. I suspect it won't happen anytime soon, sadly.

I used to use Imgur instead of Photobucket, but I haven't done so in a while. I've heard all the photo hosting services are starting to move toward requiring paid accounts if you want to serve the images from external websites (in which case they can't show you ads).

Posted

Thank you vrooje. I hope something gets sorted out.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

I have managed to get the images downloaded , and hope to update the links this weekend.

Posted