Galaxy Zoo Talk

'smooth' Hubble pics

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Why is there no option to indicate something odd when you have a Hubble pic with a smooth galaxy ?
    You can indicate the shape and then you get the question about mergers. And then the 'discuss' question.
    What to do when there is a possible lens or something else interesting ?

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

If you don't think it fits within the categories of feature (for example: clumps, bars or spiral structure) or merger, feel free to discuss it here and even tag it with whatever you think it is (such as #lens).

Posted

No, I think you misunderstand me.
    If it is a hubble pic and I think it is smooth, the question tree goes as follows :
    Smooth - shape - merger ? - discuss.
    The option 'anything odd' does not appear

Posted

eg. this one ! I can only post this here otherwise this possible lens would not have been reported.
    This is actually a step back.

AGZ0000E2M
    Survey: Hubble
    Right Ascension: 150.16665 °
    Declination: 2.5252715 °
    Magnitude: 18.6626

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

I agree it is odd "Smooth - shape - merger ? - discuss." Is there a reasons it works like this?

Posted

• steppenpuppy by steppenpuppy

Similar complaint about the new trees:

The question "does the galaxy have a mostly clumpy appearance"does not come up for SDSS pics. It goes straight to "Could this be a disk viewed edge on" and "Is there a bar feature".

As an example, I was not able to classify this object http://www.galaxyzoo.org/#/examine/AGZ0005qo8 as I would have liked to. (The Skyserver information says it is a galaxy, so I'm assuming that it is not a "platerpillar".)

Posted

still waiting for an answer !

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

There's always a balance between trying to ask a complete set of questions and not wasting people's time asking them to always answer a question when the answer is only very rarely going to be yes. We don't expect clumpy galaxies to be as common in SDSS as they will be in Hubble, and vice-versa for "odd" features like lenses.

So the question trees are a bit different between surveys, but both the examples you've posted are exactly what Talk is for -- not just for newcomers to ask questions but also for people to flag the weird, wonderful and interesting. Feel free to tag them as #lens and #clumpy and whatever else you think the question tree should have asked, but didn't.

Posted

• Tony_Wei by Tony_Wei

I 've got a better eg than this,however I couldn't find it.
    http://www.galaxyzoo.org.s3.amazonaws.com/subjects/standard/COS_10049.jpg

Posted

• 10caw2 by 10caw2

Cigar

Posted

• Guillaumeaux by Guillaumeaux in response to ElisabethB's comment.

ElisabethB
    eg. this one ! I can only post this here otherwise this possible lens would not have been reported.
    This is actually a step back.

AGZ0000E2M
    Survey: Hubble
    Right Ascension: 150.16665 °
    Declination: 2.5252715 °
    Magnitude: 18.6626

It must be a black hole, very nice. You know, we can see a distortion of the image. Sorry for my english ^^"

Posted