Galaxy Zoo Talk

no Tutorial ?

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Okay, maybe I didn't find it, but is there a tutorial somewhere on the main site ?
    If not, could we please have loads more examples in the Help section.
    (ps. if there is a tutorial, some more examples in Help would be great anyhowp)

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

We are working on getting more examples in help. If there's a particular kind of object you'd like more examples of let us know.

Posted

So, there is really no tutorial?
    For me, I'd like to know how to classify the very fuzzy ones and the ones that are very pixelated.
    And from the questions on Talk I can see that people get very confused about satellite trails, stars and overexposed pics.

And something else : please can we get a button for something odd if we get a Hubble pic with a smooth galaxy.
    Tx

Posted

Looking at some of the comments it is not always clear which object to classify !!
    I still think a tutorial would be very helpful. People who have participated in GZ before will know these things, but for newbies it is not that clear cut.

Posted

• Dorothy3737 by Dorothy3737

I'm visiting the website for the first time after hearing about it on radio 4.Like you ,ElisabethB, I woul love to help with the classification but I have no idea what to do when there is more than one object in the picture! I thought I knew the difference between a galaxy and a star but not so sure now. Someone help please. : )

Posted

• klmasters by klmasters scientist, admin

Always classify the central object.

I will make sure we discuss your concerns about the lack of tutorial within the science team. Always good to get feedback.

Welcome to the Zoo Dorothy. 😃

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin, scientist

One of the reasons there aren't more examples in some cases is that we need some classifications to find them! If you have specific things you wish were said for each question, then please do suggest things!

Posted

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai

Yes, I would like to see an extra button for when classifying the very pixelated ones (or 'clear' guidelines on how to classify) At the moment I click on smooth, but they don't look smooth just as they don't look featured!

Posted

• Peter_Mcilwain by Peter_Mcilwain

Yep I agree there are many things. For example you have to choose between a galaxy viewed side on vs a spiral but the spiral could be viewed side on. Colouration is an issue to.

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

kuyanik
    I found out, that there is the possibility to choose multiple "Is there something odd?" options, which wasn't possible in the previous GZs.
    As far as I know, that isn't mentioned on the classification page, but actually it should.

Yes this is a good feature. I notice that there is no "Is there something odd?" for the Hubble pictures or did I miss it?

Posted

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai

echo-lily-mai
    Yes, I would like to see an extra button for when classifying the very pixelated ones (or 'clear' guidelines on how to classify) At the moment I click on smooth, but they don't look smooth just as they don't look featured!

Thank you!!! Blog here http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2012/09/14/what-to-do-with-faint-galaxies/

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin, scientist in response to echo-lily-mai's comment.

I was about to post a note saying that in preparation for adding more to the site there will be a series of blog posts going up giving advice on how to classify.

echo-lily-mai

echo-lily-mai
    Thank you!!! Blog here http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2012/09/14/what-to-do-with-faint-galaxies/

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin, scientist in response to elizabeth's comment.

The questions asked are different, it's true - we tried to ask only questions for the new Hubble images that we think it's realistic to get useful answers to. Mergers are covered earlier in the tree, however.

elizabeth

elizabeth
    I found out, that there is the possibility to choose multiple "Is there something odd?" options, which wasn't possible in the previous GZs.
    As far as I know, that isn't mentioned on the classification page, but actually it should.

Yes this is a good feature. I notice that there is no "Is there something odd?" for the Hubble pictures or did I miss it?

Posted

• rion by rion in response to Dorothy3737's comment.

Dorothy3737
    I'm visiting the website for the first time after hearing about it on radio 4.Like you ,ElisabethB, I woul love to help with the classification but I have no idea what to do when there is more than one object in the picture! I thought I knew the difference between a galaxy and a star but not so sure now. Someone help please. : )

Seconded. It would be helpful to have an optional crosshair overlay or some other way to identify which galaxy I am classifying when there are many objects in the image. This would have been especially helpful when I received two images in a row, where the second image appeared identical to the first except shifted over by about 1cm. There were so many objects that it was difficult to tell which one I needed to classify.

(I previously used the original Galaxy Zoo. I seem to recall an option like this, or at least it being easier to tell since the galaxy to be classified filled more of the image's area.)

Posted

• Spacewalrus by Spacewalrus

How are the tutorials coming a long, this is the worst project.

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

I've had some problems distinguishing between edge ons (unless they have dust lanes or other recognizable features) and cigar shaped galaxies. I see no examples of cigar-shaped smooth galaxies. I've had a commentator tell me what I thought was a cigar-shape was really an edge on, despite it having no features at all. The same person, on two occasions, told me that my classifications of edge on were flat galaxies. Aren't all flat galaxies edge on? I don't know if I'm being corrected or just being given additional information. I enjoy learning more about galaxies, but sometimes it seems as if a little one-ups-manship is going on. TX

Posted

• Llyn-1 by Llyn-1

Yes a tutorial please and an indication which object to classify. I started with Galaxy Zoo today and the first site had a tutorial and different classification criteria. Could that be an old project that is still active on the web? I would hate to be wasting time on a dead project. For this project it is very frustrating not knowing how to use it. My Daughter is very excited about science so I hoped that this would be a way to introduce her to real work. I'm having second thoughts. How is the tutorial coming?

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

Click on the heading "Discuss">then click on the pull down item "Forum">on the Forum page you will find headings "Analysis Tips" and "Technical Support". These are the best places to start and learn about the basics like classification and what object you should be identifying. Thanks for your help and good luck!

Posted

• Llyn-1 by Llyn-1

Thank-you for the help.
    I did some classification last night after reading a bit more of the forums and also the 'Help' button on the classification page.

Posted

You'll find discuss at the top of the classify page. Hover over it and Talk and Forum appear.
    Same thing with the Boards at the top of Talk, just hover over it and the other categories appear.

Posted

• mefju7 by mefju7 in response to ElisabethB's comment.

ElisabethB
    So, there is really no tutorial?
    For me, I'd like to know how to classify the very fuzzy ones and the ones that are very pixelated.
    And from the questions on Talk I can see that people get very confused about satellite trails, stars and overexposed pics.
    And something else : please can we get a button for something odd if we get a Hubble pic with a smooth galaxy.
    Tx

I actually read your comments on some of my problems and understand the pictures much better. That pictures are taken with different filters in succession explains the bright colored satellite trails. Chromatic aberation was another problem for me. To identify such optical errors, one needs to see the big picture. It would be nice if we newbies could learn from the oldies. Tx

Posted

• vincentfink by vincentfink

I can't believe there's not one tutorial on this. I'm not sure on some of the more pixellated images from afar if they are galaxies or stars. can anyone point me to a thread that covers this topic?

Posted

Hi vincentfink,
    If you have any questions, you can post them here on Talk.
    Usually there is someone around to answer them.

Posted