Galaxy Zoo Talk

I was wondering if there a name for these group of Hubble galaxies like the one below posted on Kevin's blog?

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

I was wondering if there a name for these group of Hubble galaxies like the one below posted on Kevin's blog?

If not could one give these weird galaxies a name? It does not have to be scientific or official unless you want it to be. Just thought I throw this out there so that other members can be aware of what type of galaxies we are talking about. Maybe talk this over with the science team. If not that OK. Just trying to help. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thanks,
    Tom Zolotor

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

I don't think we have a particular name for them, but users have been tagging them with things like #blob or #toofainttoclassify (though I think the example on that blog is classifiable).

We'll have a blog post about this shortly (with the next few days -- there are a lot of blog posts coming out right now so it's in the queue).

Posted

These galaxies need a better name than just blog. How about "Faint Hubble Blobs" or FHB for short?

Just trying to help lol.
    I hope the blog will address a better name than just Blob. Maybe take suggestions for names from the Zoo community? LOL.
    If you like my name for those objects run it by the science team.
    Thanks,

Tom Zolotor

Posted

Astronomer Kevin said we can call them (The faint Hubble green/red like blobs) "Faint Hubble Blobs" using the tag #FHB

Posted

#fainthubbleblob #FHB

Posted

Kevin or anyone of the science team. Have these galaxies been published before outside the Zoo community or blogs. I am unable to find FHBs on the web searching thur distance galaxies? #fainthubbleblob #FHB

Posted

I know it been only 4 days since Galaxy Zoo 4 went live but have the astronomers been classifying some of our data yet?

Question 2.

Anyone of the science team. Have these galaxies (FHBs) been published before outside the Zoo community or blogs. I am unable to find FHBs on the web searching thur distance galaxies? Not by name since it is new but by just looking at galaxies from the far past on the web and or faint ones. #fainthubbleblob #FHB

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Freethesouls's comment.

FREETHESOULS

I know it been only 4 days since Galaxy Zoo 4 went live but have the astronomers been classifying some of our data yet?

One of the many #questions the team has been asked, I'm suere! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I very much doubt it; it's likely to be months, rather than weeks, before serious analysis begins. Of course, I'm sure someone is keeping an eye out for wild inconsistencies ...

Question 2.
    Anyone of the science team. Have these galaxies (FHBs) been published before outside the Zoo community or blogs. I am unable to find FHBs on the web searching thur distance galaxies? Not by name since it is new but by just looking at galaxies from the far past on the web and or faint ones. #fainthubbleblob #FHB

If I remember correctly, some of the very first Hubble images, even from the time when there was no way to correct for the bad optics (except with software, i.e. image processing), included faint blue blobs. Later research - still a very long time ago (in terms of the Hubble's history) - showed that these were (mostly) star-forming regions of distant galaxies. Such regions are blue (caveats apply) and clumpy; the underlying galaxy is (usually) redder and smooth. If you look at some of the FUV images from GALEX, you get an idea of just how drastically the appearance of a galaxy can change, depending on the filter you view it in (especially if you then look images of the same galaxies, from WISE). #GALEX #WISE #starformingregions

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin, scientist in response to Freethesouls's comment.

FREETHESOULS

Question 2.

Well, I have them downloaded! But we need several classifications per galaxy before we can do much more than take a quick look.

I'm not sure we can answer the questions about the #fhb as it's not yet clear whether they're a true class of galaxy - keep an eye on the blog for more details.

Posted

• JillHiggsBoson by JillHiggsBoson

you could always hashtag with Mr. Men. I have definitely seen some that deserve Mr Messy, Mr Topsy-Turvy, and Mr Silly

Posted