Galaxy Zoo Talk

Link to SDSS from classify page

• emandity by emandity

Suggestion: Is it possible to add the SDSS/SkyServer link on the classification page (next to the Favourite/Invert options)? Currently it's slightly cumbersome to classify something and then check after the fact.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

You might have noticed, that the GZ images and the images in Skyserver have a different image quality. Besides the images have different rotations. So I think, that it might be confusing for many classifiers to see both images.
    What would you like to check during classification?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The fact that you can only get to the Sky Server page after the classification is done deliberately. That way your classification is only based on what you see. And everybody has the same info.

Posted

• emandity by emandity

Understood. I can see why we are steered away from over-analyzing images from the outset. Occasionally I come across images where I can't determine if it's a star or even upon what I should focus my attention. It's not often, but I don't want to wrongly classify.

Posted

Don't worry ! Lots of people will see these same images and any errors will get ironed out ! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Just have fun !

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

There are many GZ images, which are incomplete.: They have blank parts, but in Skyserver the images are complete.
    For those images it would be useful to have a link to SDSS during classification to see the rest of the image and to make sure, which is the central object.

Posted

• Spacer_fielding by Spacer_fielding in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Has there been any changes on this process (Skyserver only after classing)?

I think it helps to sort superimposed local stars from the galaxies they appear upon. Access to the SDSS link helps with that task. I still can't quite fiqure out the redshift (distance) values, however.

Thanks for your feedback ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Sorry, the link to Skyserver will only be available after classification. Don't worry about the incomplete images. As I've said before, lots of people will see the same image and if there are very different classifications for an object, it will get flagged as "special'.

happy hunting !

Posted