Galaxy Zoo Talk

Acronym fhb

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson

OK, I'm starting to see fhb all over the place. Google has no applicable definition. What does it stand for? Faint Hubble (something)? Come on guys, keep the rest of us in the loop.

Posted

• alan1001 by alan1001

I thought it was "faint hubble blob".

Posted

• deano384 by deano384

Wish they had a button to select for that type of fuzzy blob. Oh yes the F might stand for fuzzy

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson in response to deano384's comment.

deano384
    Wish they had a button to select for that type of fuzzy blob. Oh yes the F might stand for fuzzy

Thanks

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

FHB stands for Faint Hubble Blob galaxies...it these faint galaxies that are found in galaxy zoo 4 taken by the Hubble wide field camera 3.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

It's just a made up name. Nothing special about it. Don't feel bad if you don't use the hashtag.
    Faint and fuzzy is just as good

Posted

Do a google search for fhb galaxies....it stands for Faint Hubble Blob Galaxy. Thanks

Posted

Check out these sites: on FHB galaxies.

http://nws.merriam-webster.com/opendictionary/newword_display_recent.php?id=86697

and

http://www.definition-of.com/FHB

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faint_Hubble_Blob_Galaxy

Posted

• trevor_allen_faller by trevor_allen_faller

(Abbreviation) Faint Hubble Blob galaxies; a galaxy class that has been hard to make out because they are so distant and faint. Term used as part of the Hubble telescope CANDELS survey; also being classified in Galaxy Zoo 4.

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls in response to alan1001's comment.

alan1001
    I thought it was "faint hubble blob".

It is...you are correct it is Faint Hubble Blob.

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson in response to ElisabethB's comment.

ElisabethB
    It's just a made up name. Nothing special about it. Don't feel bad if you don't use the hashtag.

TX. I got the idea of what was being described. I just wanted to know what it stood for. I have enough trouble trying to keep up with all the astronomy acronyms and texting jargon! LOL ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I'm beginning to feel like a rebel without a clue.

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson in response to ElisabethB's comment.

ElisabethB

TX. I got the idea of what was being described. I just wanted to know what it stood for. I have enough trouble trying to keep up with all the astronomy acronyms and texting jargon! LOL ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I'm beginning to feel like a rebel without a clue.

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls in response to Terrance L. Johnson's comment.

[Terrance L. Johnson](#/users/Terrance L. Johnson "Terrance L. Johnson")

[Terrance L. Johnson](#/users/Terrance L. Johnson "Terrance L. Johnson")

I do not think it just a made up term but much more.
    The term been published twice one in a scientific book on astronomy another a magazine. Webster dictionary accepted the term as well as another dictionary, the term been on the news such as FOX, CBS, Yahoo news, The Boston Globe and got into Wikipedia. Like I said it been published and got on TV. The astronomers on the galaxy zoo team have accepted the term. It is much more than just made up it seems to be gaining acceptance among the scientist.

Posted

• Terrance_L._Johnson by Terrance_L._Johnson in response to Freethesouls's comment.

FREETHESOULS

FREETHESOULS

FREETHESOULS

I do not think it just a made up term but much more.
    The term been published twice one in a scientific book on astronomy another a magazine. Webster dictionary accepted the term as well as another dictionary, the term been on the news such as FOX, CBS, Yahoo news, The Boston Globe and got into Wikipedia. Like I said it been published and got on TV. The astronomers on the galaxy zoo team have accepted the term. It is much more than just made up it seems to be gaining acceptance among the scientist.

Oh, Pleeeeease! Let's just drop it. Point made.

Posted