Galaxy Zoo Talk

spiral and ring

• suelaine by suelaine

Can a spiral galaxy also have a ring as it appears in this spiral?

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731

Where do you see the ring? 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There does seem to be a #bar, and at the ends of the bar are #ansae, which form a partial ring. This kind of pattern can - as I understand it - appear in spiral galaxies. The GZ forum thread Ringed and Pseudoringed Galaxies has many examples, and links to resources to explain these fascinating things ...

Posted

• fatha731 by fatha731 in response to JeanTate's comment.

I saw the "inner ring" but aren't they supposed to be on the outside? I mean in the classification the drawing to which we compare the galaxies is like this.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to fatha731's comment.

I think you've hit on one of the more difficult challenges the science team faced, in designing the web interface!

By "ring" did they intend zooites to classify a galaxy with this only if there appeared to be an outer ring of some kind? Or any kind of ring, no matter where it appears? Or deliberately left somewhat vague, but recognized that the cartoon introduces a bias towards outer rings?

There is a slide - I think from Kyle Willett's presentation at the Chicago Workshop - showing some of the images zooites classified as 'disturbed': they look just like the cartoon graphic, complete with diagonal line!

Posted