Galaxy Zoo Talk

Z Band Distortion

• scottbyrns by scottbyrns

The Z Band displays a distortion above the galaxy that may be associated with the curvature of the outer arm of the galaxy.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

What do you mean with z-band ?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

SDSS took images in five bands; in Galaxy Zoo Examine, they are called u, g, r, i, and z.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to scottbyrns's comment.

Myself, I can't see this. However, with an Arcsinh stretch, there does seem to be a faint feature above the right side, near the end, more prominent in the z-band than the i. And the end seems to split into two in the z band. Also, the r-band image seems to show an upward warp of the right side, at the tip. Warped disks are not uncommon, best seen in edge-on galaxies (like this one).

Posted

• v3nom by v3nom

I am not too sure what do you mean, but disk is not perfectly straight indeed!

Posted

• scottbyrns by scottbyrns

Stretched logarithmically is where I noticed it.
    If you imagine a triangle drawn starting from the center of the galaxy with the hypotenuse reaching to the largest star to the top right and the legs intersecting above the center and left of the star the distortion I see is in that triangle covering about 25% of the triangles surface area. I had to tilt my lcd a bit to make it come out.

Posted