Galaxy Zoo Talk

synchotron radiation jet

• koedooder by koedooder

From the center of this galaxy bursts a synchotron radiation jet, very exclusive!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I don't think it is a jet.

It looks artificial to me. And it only shows up in the r-filter.

But it does look interesting.

Posted

• koedooder by koedooder

According the wavelengths it can be also a planetary nebula High O111 and N11

Posted

• NGC3314 by NGC3314 scientist

Since the SDSS image maps the r filter to green, it might be H-alpha emission. I just learned that you can retrieve spectra from the 6dFRS database (where its redshift comes from)- that shows H-alpha, but not very strong, from the core. It might still be a real feature, likely H-alpha from star formation, but the SDSS data don't let us say more. Looking at the GALEX UV archival data, it's a dim UV source; some imagination suggests a trail off toward the green blobs, but it's marginal.

(If it were a synchrotron jet, it would be prominent in all three filters used for the SDSS composite, generally brighter to the blue, like the jet in M87).

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

And again , a huge thanks ! 😄

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Zooming out shows something interesting (and possibly pertinent):

enter image description here

There seems - to me - to be a thin veil of nebulosity, running from about the top center down to bottom left. Perhaps the green stuff in the image of the elliptical is part of this nebulosity, which is a nebula in our own galaxy? And its rather intense green color in the elliptical is an artifact of the photometric pipeline (which exaggerates colors, among other things)?

This 'exaggerate color' may also be responsible for the green 'half-halos' around some of the bright stars.

Here's a brighter patch in that nebulosity (SDSS J212518.14-030334.5):

And another galaxy, buried in the nebulosity, with a spectrum (SDSS J212519.76-030241.5):

The spectrum does not seem to show even the hint of an emission line at the rest wavelength of H-alpha ... 😦

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

The green dots aren't in the dr7 image

http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=587740506565902614

Maybe it is a cosmic ray hit, and dr8 cleaned it up in a different way?

flags STATIONARY BINNED1 INTERP COSMIC_RAY CHILD

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Or did dr7 remove something that it shouldn't have.

Posted