Galaxy Zoo Talk

Artificially redshifted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

What is the reason this is artificially redshifted?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

More info here : http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2013/10/15/galaxy-zoo-continues-to-evolve/

Posted

• karthikeyan.d by karthikeyan.d

From the blog

By classifying these redshifted galaxies, we hope to answer the question of how the classifications of distant galaxies might be subtly different due to image depth and distance effects.

The difference don't always seem subtle. Consider this image

AGZ000DD6F

AGZ000DD6F

I classified this as an object that has features but nor bar, no spiral and no bulge but it turns out to be a smooth galaxy. See below. Not sure if it is an elliptical or just a disk galaxy. I came across many such examples. Any conclusions, from the data so far, about the classifications done for these artificially redshifted images?

enter image description here

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to karthikeyan.d's comment.

If you can't be sure of seeing detail, classify as smooth. The galaxy is a very nice elliptical.

I am just a moderator but this is my interpretation. This study is to find out how galaxies become fuzzy with distance, and how that affects classification. Many spiral galaxies get classified as smooth because they are so far away. I would then think that a bias can be applied to the real data of galaxies out there, so that the number of spirals can be estimated.. Any scientists reading this, feel free to correct or elaborate.

As for conclusions, you can watch the Blog page after the images are finished, there is often a preliminary result from the scientist. The actual science paper will probably be out in a year after that.

Posted