Galaxy Zoo Talk

mirror image?

• milkomix by milkomix

I think some massive lensing is in effect here. But since I'm a newbie, can someone explain what's happening here?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to milkomix's comment.

Welcome to Galaxy Zoo! 😃

Are you referring to the fuzzy yellow ball and the bright white thing, with purple and green? If so, then the first is an elliptical galaxy and the second a star in our own galaxy. In other words, a chance alignment. If that's not, then what is it that you think is some massive lensing?

Happy classifying! 😄

Posted

• milkomix by milkomix

thanks, well since the three yellow balls are so similarly positioned compared to white ones as a group, I thought maybe they are actually observations of the same stuff with their light spliced in two. Cant really explain it since I lack the proper vocabulary but I seem to remember reading about this somewhere where some objects in space warp light and you see two images of the same object with different colors side by side as a result. Am I making sense? XD

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Yes, I do understand what you are saying. 😄
    Just a thing : if you see more than image of a lensed objects, they are always the same color.

But that said, there is no lensing going on in this image. As Jean said the bright object to the right is a foreground star and the other smaller, yellowish objects could be foreground stars and even if they were galaxies they are to far from the central galaxy to be lensed objects.

Posted

• milkomix by milkomix

Thanks.

And also it think I got the hang of the DR10 thing now and hopefully wont bother you guys with more stupid questions like these : )

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hey, there are no stupid questions ! 😄

Happy hunting !

Posted