Galaxy Zoo Talk

AA's object

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

Since the comments section is limited to 140 words, and can get pretty lengthy, I'm making this discussion for @Alpha_Aurigae 's purple object. There are a couple theories proposed, for those who hadn't participated in the conversation:

1. Voorwerpje- it's a purple voorwerpje from the galaxy's past activity, supported by the primary galaxy's appearance. However @ElisabethB argues the colors to be duller than voorwerpjes often are.

2. heavy starforming galaxy- often starforming galaxies have a blue tinge to them, with starburst galaxies being blue. Due to very heavy staformation or filter error, it could be a satellite galaxy or irregular galaxy and not a voorwerpje.

3. ionized gasses combination- it may be a combination of ionized gasses in the galaxy mixing to form a purplish color, such as Ionized Hydrogen and OIII.

The question is, which one is it?

Posted

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

Thanks planetary science πŸ˜ƒ. Might I add this one too?:

enter image description here

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/AGZ0004e7y

Posted

IMO the second galaxy looks like a starburst galaxy rather than this purple object here. It is indeed very blue, but not the purple hue of the discussion subject.

Posted

Let's hope we have got something interesting here, and hope the scientists will take a look.

Posted

Recently it appears that the scientists of GZ have left the project alone. In 2007 and 2008, they were quite active and many discoveries were made, but at this point most science seems to have slowed down significantly. There haven't been many significant discoveries since I joined in July 2013. The team even went as far as to close the forum due to lack of activity. I'm not saying that discoveries aren't being made any more, it's just that the team is no longer there as it used to be to verify and popularize the discoveries everyone is making.

Nobody liked to hear it when I said it in April, 3 months before the forum closed for that reason, and nobody likely does now, but that's what's happening.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to planetaryscience's comment.

Excuse me, but that is just a load of crap ! The forum was closed because there were hardly any people posting on it anymore, except for the fun and games threads. And the science side of it was down to zero. There was also the problem of it being very vulnerable to spammers. So, the very sensible solution was to make it a read only place. Galaxy Zoo is still very much alive and kicking. As you can well see with your posts here ! Please stop with all this negativity ! Thank you !

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Brooke comes on several times a day. Chris and Karen several times a week - and that is only the times that I am online myself (and I work full time!).

Any-time we alert one of the scientists to an interesting image, they have always responded quickly πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

It is a purple pea. #purple_pea. The PhotoZ is
    z 0.05840 plus/minus 0.006

The purple colour is similar to this galaxyhttp://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr10/en/tools/explore/summary.aspx?id=0x112d0dd240c20147&spec=0x1468490bb4006800&apid=

The blue colour comes from OIII (ionized oxygen) and the red from ionized hydrogen HΞ±.

Red + Blue makes magenta (the scientific name for purple)

Posted

Thanks Budgieye πŸ˜ƒ.

I jokingly made up the name purple pea, but now I reckon the term has already been used before πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Excellent! You are catching up to us quickly. See this page for colours of galaxies

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000007/discussions/DGZ0000ulp?page=2

Posted

Wow, thanks for the link Budgieye πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist in response to planetaryscience's comment.

The rate of publications from Galaxy Zoo has remained roughly constant since 2008, so your statement that the science is slowing down is not backed up by the evidence.

Likewise, a lack of posts from someone doesn't mean a lack of awareness. Sometimes I check in here without posting; other times I post. I think other science team members are the same.

I love that we have both green and purple peas on GZ! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• NGC3314 by NGC3314 scientist

For the object at the top, the SDSS colors look like an extreme star-forming galaxy - notably brighter in g and i than urz, indicating strong [O III] and H-alpha at redshift z~0.1. The contrast in these magnitudes is not strong enough to indicate a Voorwerpje cloud (where it can be >2 mag). (Thx to Brooke for pointing me here). Please keep eyes out!

Posted

Thank you for the analysis, NGC3314, and we'll keep looking for your strong blue colour.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to vrooje's comment.

The rate of publications from Galaxy Zoo has remained roughly constant since 2008, so your statement that the science is slowing down is not backed up by the evidence.

When one considers GZ papers about serendipitious discoveries of new/unusual objects/object classes, which were found by GZ volunteers, I think, that planetaryscience is actually right! I guess, that he referred to papers about special discoveries by GZ volunteers!
    There are papers about the Green Peas and Hanny's Voorwerp, which were discovered during GZ-1. Besides a paper was published related to a "hunt for voorwerpje" (in 2009?), but there are no further GZ papers about individual/collective discoveries by zooites available, as far as I know! There is going to be a paper (probably even two and more) published about a serendipitious discovery in the GZ side project Radio Zoo!

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to zutopian's comment.

When one considers GZ papers about serendipitious discoveries of new/unusual objects/object classes, which were found by GZ volunteers, I think, that planetaryscience is actually right! I guess, that he referred to papers about special discoveries by GZ volunteers!
    There are papers about the Green Peas and Hanny's Voorwerp, which were discovered during GZ-1. Besides a paper was published related to a "hunt for voorwerpje" (in 2009?), but there are no further GZ papers about individual/collective discoveries by zooites available, as far as I know! There is going to be a paper (probably even two and more) published about a serendipitious discovery in the GZ side project Radio Zoo!

I had done above post 2 years ago! I was reminded of this topic because of below statement in a paper.:

Emerging Problems of Data Quality in Citizen Science
    Authors: Roman Lukyanenko et al.

Because discoveries resulted from one individual going beyond the assigned task, an open question is how many discoveries went undetected because other participants failed to notice particular features (given the prescribed task) or noticed but failed to post on the site’s forum.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/294259801_Emerging_Problems_of_Data_Quality_in_Citizen_Science

The above statement is concerning the old GZ forum! The "one individual" is Hanny! The authors mentioned the discovery of the Voorwerp and the "Green Peas"!

Posted