Galaxy Zoo Talk

What do you make of this?

• camelopardalus by camelopardalus

Maybe it's because I'm brand-new at this and I'll be ooh-ing and aah-ing at every tenth object I see, but I think this is pretty unusual. The green hue with a tinge of purple to begin with, I find striking, as well as the even gradation of luminescence which is relatively uniform.. Interesting filament-like zigzags and protruberances all around. Is this even a galaxy?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Sometime it helps to zoom out. Filters not working correctly.

enter image description here

Want Help? Read this! http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BGZ0000003/discussions/DGZ1006byh

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I like your constellation name. Why did you pick it?

Posted

• camelopardalus by camelopardalus in response to Budgieye's comment.

Buncha reasons. It's an archaic spelling of camelopardalis. When I was a kid, there was this Saturday (or maybe Sunday) morning children's show on television featuring this little alien space-traveler boy who, instead of saying "Gee whiz!" or "Wowee!" when something astonished him, he'd say "CameloPARdalis!" I don't know why but that stuck in my head all these years. It's also my Yahoo! mail pseudonym; unusual enough that I don't need to put a number after it (like, "Orion687"), but it's still recognizable in certain circles. Thanks for asking.

Posted