Galaxy Zoo Talk

Central object

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

I wonder if the central object really is a star. On Skyserver the feautures look like one object, but I may be wrong of course 😃

enter image description here

Posted

PS I wonder what this would like over on Galaxy Zoo radio 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Good question(s), Alpha Aurigae! 😃

It's not that hard to get answers*, using nothing more than your browser. If you - or any other zooite reading this (hint, hint, planetaryscience) - are interested, I'd be more than happy to show you how. 😄 That way, when you come across something like this in future, you can find the answers yourself! 😮

*some of them hard, objective, quantitative ... Of course, sometimes the answers are "can't really tell" or "this object is not in the database" or ... 😦

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

Alas, no radio source here .. just noise

As for

It's not that hard to get answers*

Just use SkyView ( you are familiar with it ) just check VLA FIRST or NVSS radio survey

The difference between them is resolution 45" for NVSS (optimized for large scale structures ) versus 5" for VLA FIRST ( optimized for small scale structures )

Posted

Thanks Jean and DE 😃.
    This is probably a galaxy cluster.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Alpha Aurigae's comment.

You are very welcome.

And thanks to Dolorous Edd, for the pointer to SkyView. You can query FIRST directly (here); it produces images using the same data as SkyView, but displayed rather differently ...

Still haven't addressed the question of how you can check whether the object in the center (blue in the UKIDSS image) is a star or galaxy (or perhaps both). Using SDSS data, for example. Interested?

Posted

Hi Jean,

I will leave that to the more experienced and knowedgeable zooites. For the time being, I'd like to point out interesting galaxies and/or features, and anyone who wants to study them in depth is more than welcome 😃

Cheers,
    Abe

Posted