Galaxy Zoo Talk

2MASX J23475634+0801515 Jets or Polar ring?

• williamaskew by williamaskew

These look more like jets to me other than a polar ring. Would they be visible ? actually M87's jet is visible in that spectrum. its the way they are piling up on themselves that make them jet like.

Posted

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

I think the scientists need to observe this feature asap, wtaskew 😃

Posted

I would agree with you there AA

Posted

Either this is a polarring, or these are jets, or maybe a galaxy ripped apart and masquerading as a polarring or jets.Things like this make me excited 😃

Posted

check this out

http://irsa.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/2MASS/PubGalPS/nph-galps?objstr=2MASXJ23475634%2B0801515

Posted

Could you elaborate, Billy?

P.S. I'd like to mention this one too: AGZ0002ja5

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

another weird one : http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/AGZ0004nnb

Posted

The main jet in the j-h-k8 infrared composite image in the above link I added
    looks to be twice the size as the host but it's hard to tell because the pixels are so large. The 'jets' in AAs other image, the MRK Elizabeth pointed out are small but they have that same self pile-up as this one. As far as yours AA it looks like that linear object has either cut right through that right hand arm or perhaps the "arm" is a separate galaxy that contains the super massive BH and those two bright objects are the astrophysical jets. That would make more sense because the poles look to be to the north south orientation. Well it's all speculation but very exciting none the less. THIS is why I love GZ
    M87 can't be the only one.

Posted

Thank you, Billy 😃. Let's hope we are on to something here.

Posted

Thanks AA. Let's hope the scientists won't miss this

Billy

Posted

enter image description here

Posted