Galaxy Zoo Talk

New types of galaxies?

• flypurplecat by flypurplecat

I participated in the 2nd citizen group to classify galaxies. Is there new information for us?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I'm not sure I understand your question ? Could you explain a bit more ?

Posted

Sure, I am interested in doing more classifying & am wondering if they still want the same few questions they asked at the beginning of the classifying. I mean, we have access to so much more info about galaxies even in the last 2 to 4 years. Is there an updated tutorial about what info they're looking for, if anyone knows?

Posted

For instance, if there is more than one galaxy in the pic., should we classify both, or state wg=hether it looks like they've merged or just starting to merge? And all the pix with inf or ultraviolet, along with our visible spectrum, they look SO different. Or will "citizen scientists" just stick to the bare essentials?

Posted

Thanks so much and only if someone has time.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to christinestill's comment.

Hi Christinestill and welcome back 😃

The rules are still pretty much the same, only ever classify the object directly at the center of the image and only classify what you see! It is not necessary to use any of the other tools provided on Talk (like SkyServer, Tools etc...)

If the object at the center is a galaxy, and it is interacting with another galaxy, then you can use the 'Is something Odd' merger button.

From time to time the surveys we are looking at do change (we recently looked at the UKIDSS infrared survey) and the classification tree does get updated, but with the amount of images we are looking at this is quite infrequent. 😃

Hope this helps, and do let us know if you have more questions!

Posted