Galaxy Zoo Talk

Tidal dwarf?

• astronomer83 by astronomer83

The centered object migh be a tidal dwarf galaxy on the outskirts of the very blue nearby spiral; the interacting companion could be out of the field of veiw. Either that, or this is a prominent star formation region on that spiral galaxy.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Hard to say, we would need Hubble Space Telescope to take a better image. There are no other nearby galaxies, so it is probably the result of a merger.

enter image description here

http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR8/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx?ra=359.18588466&dec=16.80291016&scale=3.169016&width=512&height=512&opt=&query=

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

There are two irregular galaxies in this image. The smoother irregulars (VV 255a) redshift is z0.007023. The clumpy irregulars (VV 255b) redshift is z0.005964, making up the G-Pair UGC 12856

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I just see one irregular galaxy, sorry.

Posted

yes line of sight and all that but who am I to argue w the facts? If you go to SIMBAD through Skyserver,the DSS images or GALEX on Aladin make them a bit clearer

Posted

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

At first glance I would say it is only one galaxy, but it might be two:

1. the starbursts belong to a galaxy that has been torn apart apart by

2. the fainter, "cloud" like one behind the disturbed starburst galaxy.

As I am not an expert or even amateur on redshifts I trust Billy's findings. But this is a very tough call 😃

Posted

(from Cosmoquest)

Arp 262, two galaxies.
    Arp 262 is two superimposed galaxies. It is also known as UGC 12856 among other catalog entries. Arp classed it under "Galaxies not classifiable as S(piral) or E(lliptical); Irregular clumps. It turns out those irregular clumps in the southern end are actually another galaxy. Based on red shift the main galaxy is 65 million light years away and the companion 88 million light years away. All that really tells us however is that the blue companion is moving away from us 28% faster than the main galaxy. If they are really interacting, differing red shift speeds can occur at the same distance as they "fall" into each other.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to wtaskew's comment.

Can we have some images from the sources you have quoted?

I am sure others will also find it interesting 😃

Also,common courtesy never killed any one - please be polite 😃

Posted

I have trouble uploading images so I sent them to Abe.He will post them for me. I think they show a clearer definition between the two galaxies.

Below images

First is DSS2 Red (f+r) coloured

the 2nd image SDSS9 coloured

the 3rd image is DSS2 native

the 4th image is ALLWISE colour

Posted

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

Hi Capellea05, Billy sent me some images to post here: