Galaxy Zoo Talk

#artifact or something more interesting?

• jeffreyhrwtz by jeffreyhrwtz

Stumped on this one. Always wondered if some of our 'special' artifacts might be some interesting nearby stars with unusual qualities.

Posted

• Alpha_Aurigae by Alpha_Aurigae

Zoomed out you can see an irregular galaxy, probably disturbed by the small galaxy to the right. The white star in front of it is a foreground star from our own galaxy:

enter image description here

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Sorry, but which 'irregular' galaxy are you referring to?

Posted

The one in the center behind the white star. The spiral arm or arms are obviously disturbed, It is not a regular spiral galaxy.

Posted

• williamaskew by williamaskew

I think he means the spiral whose arm is wrapped around the top.

Posted

Lots of galaxies that may have caused disturbances:

enter image description here

Posted

So the way I see it the central galaxy is disturbed and thus has an irregular shape.

(And hey, is that a white dwarf top right?)

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

But it is still a spiral, only a disturbed one. No need to classify this one as irregular.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Irregular Galaxies are a class of galaxy - just like we have elliptical, disk, lenticular, spiral galaxies.

It is not a observation - for example "this galaxy looks disturbed" would be an observation.

Only use the irregular hashtag / classification / expression when the galaxy is in fact an irregular galaxy! Otherwise 'disturbed' could do the trick.

Posted

• jeffreyhrwtz by jeffreyhrwtz

Thanks to all! I've returned to studying my astronomy; reading now: Henry Kiddle AM, Elements of Astronomy, pub. 1871 & remarkable document on how much was known back then.

Posted